Help on converting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all :D

so im turning my 4ft tropical into a african tank, ive got a 3ft african tank so i know how it all works, just they are out growing the 3ft so im putting them in the 4ft. only problem is my 4ft is set up as a tropical atm and its ph is at a 6.5, so what would be the best way to raise it to a 8, WITHOUT the use of chemicals?
i was thinking throw a 5kg bag of crushed coral and around 40kg or play sand?
would that work? or would i need more crushed coral, i have plenty of time so it doesnt need to rise too fast. just needs to get there and stay there...

also would it be okay if i left the drift wood in there or should i take it out, because ive read that it lowers the ph....

thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated

roy :)

Use the crushed coral!! Do you happen to know what your ph level from your tap is? If it's the same as the tank now then the wood more than likely isn't going to effect it. If you have a higher ph out of tap then it's probably the wood that's lowering it. So then I'd remove the wood

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah crushed coral is virtually one of your only options if you don't want chemicals. If you use rocks like Limestones as the decor, then it'll also raise your pH.

Back
Top Bottom