Help planaria in cherry shrimp tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a lfs tell me to put a tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon to kill the planaria I discovered in my tank on the glass this morning when I turned the lights on. Help I dont want my shrimp to die. (Weird that daphina was in there also.) Advice please!:eek:
Fishdreamz

Hello Fish...

I'd suggest adding a small shoal of Rasboras. Six or so will clean up the Planaria in a few days. Most aquarium fish find these little worms very tasty. I understand that the Cherry and Harlequin species of Rasboras are very peaceful and shouldn't bother your shrimp.

B

Hello there,

I had a 36 gallon filled with shrimp and experienced a similar situation.

I would recommend you to see how bad the problem is. If you are seeing wayyyyyyyyy too many of these little worms. maybe actually replanting your tank is a good idea. Since they reproduce extremely fast, you may as well just redo your tank.

I went on google and found some planaria killer pills from some Japanese store, not too sure if they still have it but they do an amazing job in kill them. To my tank, I re did the whole thing, new substrate, rocks and washed my old plants. When the shrimp was stored in a temp housing, I sort of picked out the "dead" ones before putting them back into the tank again.

it is a pain in the butt to do all of that but it does help clean up the tank very nicely. Make sure the substrate, rocks, and plants are all clean when you do it. Overfeeding also caused my tank to have these little killer.

Hope it helps!

I would use Fenbendazole. It is an active ingredient in deworming medicines. It also kills hydra. There are specific products geared towards the eliminations planaria yet are shrimp safe (lookup “No Planaria”).
You can pickup Fenbendazole online via amazon and some stores carry it (usually as a canine deworming medicine). I have a write up on how to mix and dose it; let me know and I will locate and post it.

Look in articles here for freshwater I think the last page is about killing planaria. I have a link at the end I think about using the liquid goat dewormer from my past experience. About to do a dose on my shrimp tank this next week too. The liquid is made in a,10% suspension so it is easy to mix(powder does not readily mix into water) and much easier to calculate than tablet dog dewormer.

Back
Top Bottom