Help setup a 55 gallon Refuge!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birdhawk23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I've tried searching for some help/advice on several different forums but more or less had nobody show interest in help.
Well what I'm doing is kind of out there, but in the end it should be pretty neat. What I have right now is a 120 gallon (4foot version) DT with dual overflows going into dual sumps underneath the tank. After researching the certain sumps aren't benefitting me at all, just giving me headaches and constant leaks.
What I want to do is use the left overflow and run it straight into a 55 gallon I have and use it as a "display" refuge sitting next to the tank. I am new to fuges so I don't know what to add to the refuge for growth, and I don't know how many chambers to make. Do you guys have any suggestions into these questions?
I know I will have a bubble trap baffle on the furthest right end of the fuge (for return pump into sump) but how many chambers should I have prior to my return?
Note, I am aware of a possible flood I am still working to ensure safety in a power outage instance.. Will get back on that..
Last question is lighting? I have a bunch of clip on lights I could use.. But I also have either a 48" PC 50/50 12k whites and 10k actinics. as well as a 1x250 M/H fixture I could use, would any of these work better than the regular clip on light? Thanks for your time reading, and any help you can offer.

i don't think chambers really matter for a fuge, don't quote me but I only read about those in setups where people are creating the fuge within the sump.
I would simply assume the M/H would be best but then again, if youre just growing chaeto which most people do for the fuge, a simple light would be fine.
And for the power outages, if you set up your overflow or DIY pvc overflow it shouldnt matter if the power goes out, it should hold its siphon.

And last, I believe fuges should have low flow so you dont throw around all the little critters you are trying to raise

Im contemplating running the DIY PVC from the DT to refuge then refuge to sump.
So you're thinking just one bubble trap to separate the return to the sump. I assumed I would try different sections of DSB, rock, mud, but I'm up for suggestions I'm very new to this.
My LFS has 2 calupera? Or something similar to that

I thought about running the pvc from dt to refuge to another tank BUT, I wouldn't do it. I didn't think about it long but simply put that puts 2 pumps into the equation. If one fails then it would be a problem because something wouldn't be returning the water. Unless of course you do a 3 tank set up at different heights so gravity feeds two of them and only one return pump on the last tank returning water to the display tank.

And for the refuge, idk about the mud but dsb and rock can be achieved in one section. All depends on what you're using it for. Also, people advise against growing that algae cause it goes sexual or whatever and messes with your tank

Ahh yes I've heard of that going sexual as well.
But to clear things up, my plan with the PVC is this. Display tank, with right overflow flowing straight into sump. The left overflow coming from tank will 45 out to refuge which will be set up at about 2 feet above the sump on a stand. From there it will go through the fuge, then the PVC overflow to sump which in fact will be gravity fed.
All 3 tanks will be at a different height level so a complete gravity fed system will be possible.
I also have a 500gph pump which I could always make things easier and use I'm just nervous of it failing and that'd be my flood issue

okay i see what youre saying kinda. just leave enough water room in the last tank that if the pump fails it has enough space to receive the water from the two tanks without overflowing. you get what im saying?

Yessiree, now were on the same page. I might go with a 40 breeder to ensure water capacity in case of an outage.
I'm hoping somebody can advise me on the lighting situation, and contents now..

OMG, dude i totally wanted the exact same thing. I was going for the same setup as you too.

like i said on lighting and contents, it all depends on what youre trying to do. when i think refugium i think of chaeto and thats about it with some pods, in which case a simple daylight bulb would do. If you want a "reef" refuge then you probably already know youre lighting you'd need depending on what you're trying to raise. Personally, I'm thinking of getting a mantis shrimp for my fuge

Haha wow, we kind of have a lot of the same thinkings... I thought forever that mantis's were the freakiest/weirdest things ever but ever since ive started the fuge idea I've highly considered having a monster to put in there, I'm just concerned of them destroying everything haha

Back
Top Bottom