Help sexing a betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberts48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help sexing this betta I just got I thought it looked like a female but the store sold it as a male. I'll post a picture tmr is there any for sure way of telling?

I need help sexing this betta I just got I thought it looked like a female but the store sold it as a male. I'll post a picture tmr is there any for sure way of telling?

Males have long fins, females have short fins. In most cases. Unless its a dragon scale. Idt it applies in that situation.

Males have long fins, females have short fins. In most cases. Unless its a dragon scale. Idt it applies in that situation.

In many fish, especially cichlids, the genital papilla, the white dot on the fish's underside, will take on different forms when in spawning mode. On the females it's usually more pronounced and rounded. The males' will be thinner and smaller. I've never given it much thought on how this applies to bettas, but you may want to further your research on this.

David

I've never seen anything on genital papilla for bettas, but they're pretty easy to sex. Females are sort of dull, shorter fins, and I think smaller. Males are super colorful, have the long pretty fins, and are usually what the pet store carries because they're so much prettier.

image-378097418.jpg

Here's a picture if that helps? And also why is my male betta just laying on the ground the whole time?

Looks like a male Dragonscale to me but possibly a female. Female Bettas have a white ovipositor on their underside, look for the white dot, I have NEVER seen one on a male. Not all females are dull in color but they do tend have much short finnage depending on the type. Is your tank fully cycled? How long have you have had him/her? Water parameters; ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? He's not swimming around at all? What is the water temp? Is he in your 55g community tank? Is he getting picked on by tank mates?

No he is in his own tank about 2.5 gal it's the same tank as the one I just put a picture up of there's a divider in the tank so they can't even see each other. So it must not be the water if the other one is just fine.

It has the horizontal stripes on its head that indicate a male in breeding readiness. A 2.5 gallon should be fine. The little half gallon bowls they sell for them are cruel, but I kept one just fine in a 1 gallon tank. He was quite happy in there. Check your water parameters for a start to find out what's wrong.

No he is in his own tank about 2.5 gal it's the same tank as the one I just put a picture up of there's a divider in the tank so they can't even see each other. So it must not be the water if the other one is just fine.
I'm not getting this. He is in his own tank, yet he's in a tank that has a divider so he can't see another fish?

By the way, fish release pheromones. I highly doubt he thinks he's alone.

In any case, he's a good looking betta...

David

He is in a tank with another betta but there is a white plastic divider so they can't see each other he has one half of the tank the red male that won't get off the bottom has the other half.

He is in a tank with another betta but there is a white plastic divider so they can't see each other he has one half of the tank the red male that won't get off the bottom has the other half.

I believe that is a female... Definitely does not look like a male to me- my male Betta, Pigg, has a tail that is about 3cm long at the moment and still growing. The Bettas you have need a bigger tank. They should have 5g each, but 2.5 each at the BARE MINIMUM. I have my Betta in a 10g with 3 otos and a Mystery Snail. 2.5 shared is much too small. He may be lying at the bottom from illness or from lacking space. I am no expert with any fish things at all, but I do know that when I first got my Betta and he was in one of those 1.5g tanks until his big one was ready, he never moved unless I fed him. When he went into the big one, he was the most active fish I have ever had. Good luck!

I know I just recently got them its only temporary and I think it is actually bigger than 2.5 idk. But it looks like its hard for him to swim up but he's getting more and more active still just on the bottom and occasionally swims to the top then goes back and lays down.

image-3119515113.jpg

Like this the whole time

Sluggish betta

First of all, I agree that your betta needs more space. Just because they can LIVE in a tiny aquarium doesn't mean they will THRIVE in a tiny aquarium. I rescued one from WalMart about 10 days ago and it took the poor thing several days before it finally perked up and started behaving normally. It was in one of those tiny cups. I also found a dead and rotting one there which I happily turned in at the front of the store. Know what they said..."Do you want us to go get a live one for you?"!!! Unbelievable...:nono:

Back
Top Bottom