help.sooooo overwhelmed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spicemonkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 12g nano sw currently and have ran numerous fw. Just acquired a 55g corner bowfront. I know what I want for lighting but this filtration schtuff has got me soooo confused ugh. Looking for that proverbial easy button lol

If your looking for pump and overflow help. And excuse me if I'm wrong its been a long time lol so correct me if I'm wrong here. But you should buy a pump and overflow box that can handle 600 gph

Yeah I guess. It is all so confusing to me. We have always used magnums mostly h.o.t. and had a floor standing one for our 60 hex until a new heater blew that one up ooops darn. So looking for easy, efficient and strong enough lol basically the holy grail lol
I am considering a Fluvall. But this sump/ refugium thing eeks. IDK...Then i saw a pic of side tank with mangrove and that was waaaay cool yikes

It isn't hard, just looks like it is and people get overwhelmed easy. It is mostly because of the plumbing. I was the same way when I started. In my 55 I have a Mag 5 return pump...I think...and a CPR overflow with an aqualifter to ensure that I don't loose siphon. I have lost siphon twice, once when an aqualifter burnt out from a power surge and again when it got clogged up from an algae bloom. Was a 2 second fix the second time.

I've also ended up with more problems from the flex tubing. The PVC is the best and I learned after I did it an even easier. Measure twice, cut once. Slop on the primer and glue, insert into fitting and give a quarter twist. That is all it really is.

I learned the expensive way how easy it is to make a sump. I originally bought one, but when I upgraded tanks I decided to build one out of a 20 gal long. It ended up costing me 56 dollars to make the sump. I ended up buying the 20 long from petco, 4 cut to fit pieces of glass from Lowes, and an 8 dollar clip on work light for the fuge section.

<----building my sump this weekend! When I get home I will post you a site that might help. Your best bet is to take advice from people on here. That's what I've been doing! I've had a sump before but a friend built it and I watched mostly! LOL! Now I'm on my own!

Sniperhank said:
It isn't hard, just looks like it is and people get overwhelmed easy. It is mostly because of the plumbing. I was the same way when I started. In my 55 I have a Mag 5 return pump...I think...and a CPR overflow with an aqualifter to ensure that I don't loose siphon. I have lost siphon twice, once when an aqualifter burnt out from a power surge and again when it got clogged up from an algae bloom. Was a 2 second fix the second time.

I've also ended up with more problems from the flex tubing. The PVC is the best and I learned after I did it an even easier. Measure twice, cut once. Slop on the primer and glue, insert into fitting and give a quarter twist. That is all it really is.

I learned the expensive way how easy it is to make a sump. I originally bought one, but when I upgraded tanks I decided to build one out of a 20 gal long. It ended up costing me 56 dollars to make the sump. I ended up buying the 20 long from petco, 4 cut to fit pieces of glass from Lowes, and an 8 dollar clip on work light for the fuge section.

Sniper, did you use any specific diagrams or instructions off the net? You always give great advice etc. and you're very knowledgeable on this stuff. I would love to know the specifics if you don't mind. I'm learning as well.

I just asked on here and used my very basic knowledge of construction from helping my dad remodel parts of the house when I was a kid. Having a build thread has been my biggest ally and some really experienced people giving feedback to my ideas have built up my knowledge for all of it. I haven't even been keeping SW for a year yet! Getting bored and caught up at work gives me time to read and read and read as well.

But following the simple instructions will help the OP greatly with the plumbing of a sump/fuge. And of course, if any questions arise we are always here and so is youtube if pictures help more than words.

I was able to talk to someone at length today. I think I am going to use the wet/dry system with a submersible pump and a protein skimmer. Lfs sells complete wet/dry box and all needed items with only suggestion to swap out one tube for hard plumbing
Does this sound accurate?

Spicemonkey said:
I was able to talk to someone at length today. I think I am going to use the wet/dry system with a submersible pump and a protein skimmer. Lfs sells complete wet/dry box and all needed items with only suggestion to swap out one tube for hard plumbing
Does this sound accurate?

Yep but there are some downfalls not having a fuge imo

I wouldn't use a canister filter and if you can drill you tank do it. The hang on the back overflow box needs maintenance that sucks to do. It's not hard you just won't want to do it. What are you going to use for rock? What lighting and power heads?

Live rock and sand plus the lr and sand from the 12g nano. Also i plan to suppliment with water from water changes to aide in start up. Still unsure what to do with 12g after 55g is up & running

A refugium needs it"s own lighting etc? No? Can u please explain differences and. mb even how a refug is set up/works. Thanx again

Spicemonkey said:
Andrew please enlighten me further thanx

Sorry it took soo long I had to go to work then my phone didn't want to work right. Thank goodness for WiFi at the house lol

For a fuge imo there are more pros then cons over a wet/dry. If you can do both go for it or if you can build yourself one. Building one is pretty easy plus I've even seen build threads here on AA.

This is probably the easyest way to tell you that I don't have to type it all out. http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/reef-geeks/4755-refugiums-pros-cons.html

Spicemonkey said:
A refugium needs it"s own lighting etc? No? Can u please explain differences and. mb even how a refug is set up/works. Thanx again

Yes it has its own lighting, own rock, own sand everything but fish, some even stock corals into it. They are built all different ways but for the most part the water that goes threw the fuge is kinda slow. Here are a couple picture designs from the web. I also have pictures I think in my profile if you want to see how I did it. It is freshwater since I got out of saltwater but its the same basic idea for the most part. :)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=zbdeUKjOIIaIygHWlIGwCw&ved=0CDkQ9QEwBA

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=zbdeUKjOIIaIygHWlIGwCw&ved=0CDwQ9QEwBQ

Last edited:
Sorry to sound so redundent but i am not seeming to understand how this is better than wet/dry. What r the benies?

Refugium:
-Has more water = better water quality
-better for pod growth
-less of a nitrate buildup
-can grow chaeto or caulerpa for better filtration
- has more room to place frags in to be sold off
- more of a natural filtration
-basically grow all organisms that can't grow in a tank

Wet/dry:
- can have a big nitrate problem
- less water then a fuge
-

fuge

so...I have this 12g nano set up. Could I use that as the fuge? LR/LS & coral already set, just move fish to larger tank?

Spicemonkey said:
so...I have this 12g nano set up. Could I use that as the fuge? LR/LS & coral already set, just move fish to larger tank?

Sure you can the coral doesn't need to be in there. I was saying some put coral in there that they have fraged out to sell. I would add caulerpa to it to help keep trates under control. You'll just need to find a way to combine the wet/dry and the fuge. Some take a small power head to pump water into it out of a wet dry. Then back into the wet/dry to be pumped back to main tank. Haha you found something to do with the 12. :)

You really can do whatever you want. I'm just saying that I like the combination of both together or almost all fuge with a open spot for a skimmer.

I hope I've helped and didn't confuse you more. It can be very confusing with everything saltwater. I had bought book after book to read when I did salt so I thought myself. This was all before I joined here. Some of those books are like wrote in a foreign language when you have no clue at what your doing. Ok ill stop talking lol good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom