Help! Three of my fantail's are dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvhgsandksss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what's happening. 3 of my fish (out of 15) have developed sores on their sides. I have 5 fantail's all together, 3 gold and 2 chocolate. Only the gold's have been affected. I don't know what could be wrong. My LFS has told me that it was probably just birds that speared at the fish and nothing more. I don't believe that because I have a protective netting over my pond to protect it from a pesky egret. I have quarantined the 3 fantail gold's and I'm treating them with MelaFix and Stress Coat. The water was tested and was within normal parameters (according to the LFS). I am worried about the rest of my fish. I have started to treat the pond for Ich. Is there anything else I can do? Any/all suggetions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lori :cry: I regret to let you know that I have lost all three of my little fantails, and they are now :lilangel: s

Doesn't look like ick to me, looks like a sore spot that has gotten seriouly infected. I think you need something stronger than melafix, but melafix is better than nothing. If it were me I would use a combo of bothe maracyn and maracyn 2 on the gold fish.

I have a question. Why would only three out of her five fantails be affected? What kind of a disease would cause sores to appear only on her fantail's yet not affect the large goldfish? And why is it that only the gold fantail's are affected are affected? Just asking out of curiosity.

I bought the gold Fantails from the same dealer, same tank. the chocolates were from a different tank, they seem fine, I check all the fish in the pond daily, except for my son's Golden Nugget pleco, he is a bit shy. I love your question though, it has been bothering me if I should let the two chocolate Fantails stay in the pond. Thank you for your concern, Lori.

I had a fantail that looked almost exactly like that. I never figured out what was wrong with it. None of my comets are any other fish were affected.

Thank you for the comment Roger, Hopefully my question will answer both of our concerns. I am hoping somebody out there will have some answers or solutions. For now I have decided to stop putting Fantail golds in the pond, or as my Granddaughter calls them, Wigglebutts, (she will be 3 in Sept.). Until I can do it with a better knowledge of how to help them survive. perhaps they are too fragile for a pond? The two chocolate Fans are doing fine. I thank anyones advice and or knowledge, if you need to know the kind of plants, pump & filter info I have PIC's and would be happy to share them. A :lilangel: lways, Lori.

Back
Top Bottom