Help! What should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rugbytackle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have had a fish tank installed and as of right now I am waiting for salt water levels to be right, and temperatures to be as it should be.
In the mean time i am trying to consider the different species i could put into it.
I have a 200 litre tank, that has lots of live rock and sand in it.
What are good and easy breeds of fish to put in it?
Do they need to be in pairs?
What coral is easy to maintain and as well as suiting my fish.
Should i get other species other than fish i.e crabs and snails etc, and how easy are they too keep?

I have searched on lots of website, however it is difficult to know if they are easy to keep, or easy to purchase in the UK, so I need practical advice!

I am new to this all, however I am very excited to get my tank up and running.
If you have any suggestions or ideas i would be very grateful,
thanks, Ellie, Northamptonshire, UK

The first thing you have to do is cycle the tank. We have a good article about it in our SW articles section. Then after you do that start with some fish. I would wait about 6 months before adding any corals. Give your tank time to stabilize.

First off make sure you cycle your tank(fishless).Once cycled and you have done your first PWC and got the nitrates down to 0 then you can add some CUC to your tank and the odd fish,Clown fish are very hardy and very popular and good in pairs,stick to one type though.Don't add any more fish for at least a month keep testing your water using liquid test kits and keep doing your PWC every week.don't overstock your tank.I wouldn't add any corals until you have got the hang of testing and keeping your water levels good and your tank is established,then maybe add a few,there are quite a few easy corals out there but you need good lights to keep them.theres plenty of shops around,there's a good one in oxford and in northampton.

sorry melosu you got in there while I was typing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom