Help with filter and tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladybug5399

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank set up for about 3 months and Im worried about my stock for the size. We bought it from Craigslist as a 55 gal. After a disaster with water clarifier, I'm worried that it may not be 55 gal. The measurements are 36 x 12 x 21. I can't find a size for these dimensions.

I'm also wondering if I'm doing something wrong with my filter. It's a Rena filstar xp2. The only media that I change is the very top "super micro filtration" and the bio chem zorb pack. I haven't changed the bio stars or the 20/30 ppi filters. I do rinse the 20/30 ppi in tank water once a month. I was buying a bio chem zorb and super micro filter at my local petsmart, the customer rep recommended I change the 20/30 ppi every 3 months. She also said the stars need changed every 3 months. That seemed like an awful lot of media changes to me.

I'm also having trouble with cloudy water. It's not awful, but not as clear as I would like. My husband tried the API accu-clear, but the result was a dead fish and the rest in distress. ( I don't think I've ever done a huge water change so fast)

I'm fairly new to aquariums and would appreciate any advice!

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• image-3140308489.jpg
    image-3140308489.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 112
Being I have a 55 it sounds like it Is very close to being a 55 maybe 50 or 52........the cloudiness maybe a bacterial bloom...do you have an api master test kit to know what your water parameters are? Really vital to have......

I believe this tank is a 40g tank based on your numbers- a 55g would have the same numbers for h/w but is 48" in length. Your present stocking, water change schedule and numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph will help figure out what's going on with your tank. :)

Now, about your filter. I'm a firm believer that when it comes to filters. I have to like it to use it. If I don't like the way a filter is made or designed, It's not going to be on my tank long. So, if you can afford to replace it. Do! There are really good units out there for under a 100 bucks that are easy to use have tons of room for extra media. Just simply making your life and hobby a lil easier.

The cloudy water, can be caused by many things. overfeeding, some foods etc.
the simplest fix is more WC's but as jlk said more info would help with figuring it out.

Aquarium volume calculator is saying 40 gallons but that's for a rectangle. Aqueon makes a 46 gallon bowfront. That's probably what it is.

Aquarium volume calculator is saying 40 gallons but that's for a rectangle. Aqueon makes a 46 gallon bowfront. That's probably what it is.

Thanks, Wolfsblood! I couldnt see the pic on my cell & didnt realize it was a bowfront. So, depending on if the 12" width measurement is for the center or for the ends, its either @36g or @46g. Ladybug, can you give us the measurements for the center and for the ends and we give you a better idea of what size the tank is?

Nitrates 5 ppm

Nitrites 0 ppm

Ammonia 0 ppm

PH 6.4

I use the API freshwater master test kit. This is the first time nitrates are up. But water has been cloudy for weeks. I feed once a day. I test water once a week and and do water changes every 2 weeks. There's no difference in cloudiness with water changes.

As for filter, I like the canister set up. It's easy to change, and the supplies are available at my pet store. I'm just confused on what media to change. I've read different things.

We stocked the tank thinking it was a 55 gal.
2 dwarf gouramis
2 Mollys (a marble and a dalmation)
1 reticulated hill stream loach
2 black kuhli loaches
3 angels
2 rainbow fish
1 mystery snail
2 otos
We also have a baby dalmation molly that we found in the filter at fry size and another molly fry that didnt get eaten.

I'll just mention a few things since I don't own a Rena. The reticulated sponges (20/30 ppi) will last for years, but they do need to be cleaned out, not just "swished". Clean them vigorously in tank water to remove the solids, by repeated squeezings and water renewals until the water stays pretty much clean. The stars just need to be rinsed as well to remove any debris collected on their surface. They should last pretty much forever.

I'll just mention a few things since I don't own a Rena. The reticulated sponges (20/30 ppi) will last for years, but they do need to be cleaned out, not just "swished". Clean them vigorously in tank water to remove the solids, by repeated squeezings and water renewals until the water stays pretty much clean. The stars just need to be rinsed as well to remove any debris collected on their surface. They should last pretty much forever.

My original thinking was that the 20/30 last until they fall apart. When the lady at the pet store told me to change them, I didnt think that sounded right.

In respect to the cloudiness, I would start by increasing your water changes to weekly. Twice a month simply is not sufficent to keep a tank healthy. I would also double check your nitrates- make sure you are really shaking the bottles & banging them on a hard surface before testing. Let us know if this makes any difference in your test results. How long has this tank been setup for?

I would recommend "purigen" by seachem. It a filter media that you can put in your canister. Should clear the cloudiness quickly, lasts a few months. It is also rechargeable so that you don't have to continually buy more.

In respect to the cloudiness, I would start by increasing your water changes to weekly. Twice a month simply is not sufficent to keep a tank healthy. I would also double check your nitrates- make sure you are really shaking the bottles & banging them on a hard surface before testing. Let us know if this makes any difference in your test results. How long has this tank been setup for?

Wow that made a huge difference. I would shake them pretty good, but that extra smack and shake gave different results. My nitrates were at 40ppm! I immediately did a 50% water change. I will do another in morning.
The tank has been up about 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom