Help with lighting.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've already posted this question, but I'm posting it again in hopes that more than one person will reply. :wink: I'm planning a FOWLR tank. What type of lighting will I need? My tank measures 72" across. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the types of lights. I've been searching for answers, but without any luck or results. If you have the time to spare, please reply. Thanks!

I am a fan of the CF fixtures by Coralife. I am not sure if they make any that long though. Yu may need to go with two shorter ones.

If you are not planning on having any corals, then lighting is not too critical. you really only want something that is asthetically pleasing to you and to support the corraline algae on the liverock. N.O. flourescents won't do the job so you will probably want to get a hood with VHO's or powercompacts. And as far as asthetics go, most people prefer to supplement their lighting with actinics and moon lights. I did a quick search and I found a few 72 inch power compact hoods in the 350 to 400 dollar range.

I thought I wouldn't be getting corals too... then I did.

think twice man, THINK TWICE!!

I second Piggybank's input. I did plan on corals from the onset, but if you're going with angels and others unfriendly to corals, that's another story. Corals are fascinating. I'd suggest reading up a bit on'm before you buy a light. Would hate to see you change your mind later and have to spend more on another light.

You will want Corals. You will. Trust me. You will. :) Power compacts are good enough for most soft corals and in my opinion many of those are the most beautiful anyway ...

Back
Top Bottom