HELP with my water and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused:Ok Monday I did my regular water change and placed the correct amount of water conditioner in the tanks followed by start zyme. For the past few weeks the fish have been swimming to the top gasping for air. I thought this meant my tank didnt have enough oxygen flow. So I used an old air pump and let the air tube freely hang in the tank. Needless to say they are still gasping for air but not as much. Yesturday I took a sample of my water from both tanks and had it tested at the pet store. Everything was at zero and normal except my Nitrates. They were extremely high. So how do I get my Nitrates down. I asked the store assistant and she referred me to zorbtrate or something like that. But they were out of the right size I needed. She told me to do water changes until it changed. PLEASE HELP. HOW MANY CHANGES DO I NEED TO DO TO CORRECT THIS?:facepalm::eek:

Don't worry, you don't need Nitrazorb or any other nitrate removing product. All you need are water changes. Most people perform a 50% water change every week to keep nitrates low. Do one as soon as you can if you haven't yet. Also, what was your nitrate level?

Don't worry, you don't need Nitrazorb or any other nitrate removing product. All you need are water changes. Most people perform a 50% water change every week to keep nitrates low. Do one as soon as you can if you haven't yet. Also, what was your nitrate level?

+1
On the money! Try to avoid putting chemicals in your tank as much as possible. Most problems can be solved with proper maintenance. So just do another 50% WC and wait a hour recheck lvl's. If your set on using something seachem purigen is really the only thing I know for sure works safely and is rechargeable.

Because she did the test she did not tell me the exact number but the color the water turned was red, which compared to her testing kit measurer was the highest for the 10g. Same with the 20g but with this one it took awhile for the water to start changing. It changed to a deep orange color. IDk if this will help figure out the correct number or not. But she used the API brand Freshwater Master Test KIt.

:(

OK I found a color chart to compare to the colors I saw it change to. My 10g was 80ppm- 160ppm. My 20G was 40ppm-80ppm. I did a 25% change on both tanks last night. My next question is everytime I do these water changes, I am supposed to put in my water conditioner and start zyme right? Sorry for so many questions. Aslo my next two questions are I noticed this morning that some of my fish have white stringy poop. Someone said on another thread these are parasites. With all the water changes Im trying to do to change the Nitrates do I need to add meds to fix this right now?:eek:

Yes, you need to add your dechlorinator for the entire tank volume if you add it to the tank before you add the water, or the correct amount for the volume of the bucket you are using if you treat the water before adding it to the tank.

White and stringy poop does not necessarily indicate parasites, but it may.

Have you had your tap water tested for nitrate? If your tap water is high in nitrate right off then water changes won't help much. ALso what size tank and what fish? Too many fish can cause higher nitrate levels. Any time you get the water tested at the store ask them to write down the numbers; often what they deem as "ok "really isn't. It's best to get your own liquid test kit so you can test the water as needed when problems arise. I'd quit adding the start rite; most of those bacteria starters don't help anyway and maybe there's something in there that the fish are reacting to.
Also how new is this tank? Give this a read: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The tanks are 10g and 20g tanks. I have 7guppies and 2 mollies and 1pleco in the 20g. And 8guppies in the 10g tanks. The 20g has been setup for over a year. The gallon has been setup for aout 6months. I have not had my tapwater tested before. I will see Monday.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom