Help with my water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushuporker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've had a few fishtanks before, but honestly they were lucky accidents. I never once checked my water parameters. Now I'm trying to set up a 20 gallon and do everything properly and I'm a bit lost. All that's in the tank right now is gravel, a couple hides, a mopani wood tree, and a few pieces of cholla wood.

I plan on adding dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears, java moss, and a few background plants once the carpet is under control. After all my planting is done I'm adding some snails and cherry shrimp. The only fish I've decided on are some corydoras and gouramis. I considered german blue rams, but I think the gourami are less likely to pick on my shrimp.

My problem at this moment is understanding where I want my water parameters and how to get them there. I did my first test this morning and got; PH: 8 Ammonia: 4 ppm Nitrate: 5 ppm Nitrites: 0 ppm. My temp is set at 75 and seems to be staying fairly stable. I don't really understand what to do with the information I have.

I guess what I'm asking is, what do I need to do to make the water ready for some plants?

Are those water parameters basically your tap water? You havent added anything?

I would do a test of your tap water. Thats a lot of ammonia for a tank with basically nothing in there.

Yeah, it was started with tap water, but it's been running with just water for almost a month. Will I be able to put plants in it with that ammonia or will it kill them?

Plants will love the ammonia in your tank.

I think you missed the point of my comment. Where has that ammonia come from? If it is from your tap water then i dont think you can use your tap water in your aquarium. When cycled your tank will process out ammonia, but i just think 4ppm is too high to use it for water changes, it will cause lasting harm to your fish before it is cycled out.

Test your tap water to see what its parameters are.

Or have you dosed ammonia into the tank to cycle it? Fish food?

It could be coming from something in the tank. Perhaps the substrate? Sometimes a planted tank substrate puts ammonia into the water for a short time.

You really need to look into where that ammonia is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom