Help with new low-tech planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone

I've been doing a lot of research lately and have decided to start a 29 gallon low-tech planted tank.

Light: Finnex fugeray planted+ 30 in
Plants:

Amazon Sword
Java moss
Java fern
Anubias nana
Water wisteria
Corkscrew vallisneria
Star Repens
Frogbit

I plan on using root tabs and co2 supplements in gravel.

I'm going on vacation in about a week for a couple of weeks so should I plant all my plants and get it running now or after my trip? During that time I won't be able to dose co2 but there would still be the root tabs. Also, I'm not getting fish until after my trip either. Would my plants do well without algal blooms or should I wait?

Thanks guys! Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated! :-
Edit: I also have a timer for my light, what should I set it at? Thanks so much!

If you are going to be gone for a few weeks of just wait till you got back.

Just curious why choose gravel?

Set your timer to whatever ours you are home to see the tank. No more than 8 hours daily. A break(1-2 hours) halfway through helps prevent algae growth.

Are you going to use any fertilizers?

Caleb

If you are going to be gone for a few weeks of just wait till you got back.

Just curious why choose gravel?

Set your timer to whatever ours you are home to see the tank. No more than 8 hours daily. A break(1-2 hours) halfway through helps prevent algae growth.

Are you going to use any fertilizers?

Caleb

I'm actually using both gravel and sand to create a shoreline aqua scape, where the gravel is like the land and the sand is like the water. Most of my plants, if not all, will be in the gravel though.

Thanks for the timer advice also.

I think I'll use a combination of Seachem root tabs for my root feeders and Seachem flourish for my others, and dose co2 occasionally (not sure how much yet).

Id like to try to get my tank up and running before I leave so it can stabilize, but do you think algae would be a problem? They would have root tabs and a dose of co2 before I leave.

I'm actually using both gravel and sand to create a shoreline aqua scape, where the gravel is like the land and the sand is like the water. Most of my plants, if not all, will be in the gravel though.

Thanks for the timer advice also.

I think I'll use a combination of Seachem root tabs for my root feeders and Seachem flourish for my others, and dose co2 occasionally (not sure how much yet).

Id like to try to get my tank up and running before I leave so it can stabilize, but do you think algae would be a problem? They would have root tabs and a dose of co2 before I leave.

Blue gravel for the water might be a little easier to find lol :D sounds near though.

Use leaf zone by API and alternate that with Flourish. This will complete your ferts of Micros and Macros.

If by stabilize you mean cycle?

If you have good water movement and a good lighting schedule algae shouldn't be much of a problem.

Caleb

Thanks lol.

By stabilize I mean just getting everything set, running, and growing, not cycle yet. I'll do that after I get back.

Also is doing 3 hours of light followed by 1 hour of rest followed by 3 hours of light good for each day, or is that pushing it a little to low? I want to minimize the risk of algae while not starving my plants or light.

Sounds good, be sure to post pics. I would go ahead and plant, I don't think the plants will notice your gone. I would want a bit more than 6 hours of light. 8 really seems to be the sweet spot.

I'd wait to set up the tank until you get back.

Couple of things:

Start off with a low photo period, maybe like 5-6 hours. A Planted+ is quite a bit of light on a tank without pressurized co2.

Dose excel/glut daily

Look into dry ferts as an option.

Plant as heavily as possible from the start.

I'm getting some mixed advice over here. Should I set it up now or would it be running he risk of algae (even with a 6 hour photoperiod)? I'm also doing a lot of surface agitation to bring some co2 into the water as I wouldn't be able to dose excel while I'm away...

I just don't see the advantage in setting it up before you go. You won't be able to dose anything and you risk algae problems if the photoperiod is too long. If you wait until you get back you'll be able to keep a close eye on your tank and do whatever is necessary to keep your plants healthy.

Personally I wouldn't be afraid of setting it up before hand but that's just my opinion. I set up my planted nano right before a week long beach trip with no ill effects. Its a planted + light as well, no problems. But take everyone's advice and make your own informed decision.

I just don't see the advantage in setting it up before you go. You won't be able to dose anything and you risk algae problems if the photoperiod is too long. If you wait until you get back you'll be able to keep a close eye on your tank and do whatever is necessary to keep your plants healthy.

There really isn't anything to go wrong and algae aside from diatoms which naturally occur from silicates wont just flourish in a short time with a lower photo period.

There really isn't anything to go wrong and algae aside from diatoms which naturally occur from silicates wont just flourish in a short time with a lower photo period.

I guess I just respectfully disagree. A plant like star repens in a newly set up lowtech tank without glut/excel and steady ferts will likely do very poorly over the span of a couple weeks.

+1 I agree with this.

Back
Top Bottom