Help With Pool Filter Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another picture of the sand in my new tank (wide view)
Special thanks to my daughter Kim! thanks!

Attachments

• fishtank pic.jpg
    fishtank pic.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 229
wow that looks amazing. I'm really hesitant now to put my pfs cause i realllyyy want a lighter sand.

$7.50...100 lbs - and I still have 1/2-1/3 bag left.

Still thinking of adding some garnet sand so I left a little room for adding it...

Also I have an blue tint light, waiting to get the white for the plants, so it looks a little darker than it really is.

Thanks! My first posted picture!

It is kinda nice sand so far, since the sand doesn't seem to float like the CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my other tank. For the first week I am happy.

There is a little debris on the floor since I have added plants, roots bits are there and decorations and the big rocks I had seeding BB in my black sand tanks dropped little tiny black sand particles on the sand from the little volcanic pockets :(

It is kinda nice sand so far, since the sand doesn't seem to float like the CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my other tank. For the first week I am happy.

There is a little debris on the floor since I have added plants, roots bits are there and decorations and the big rocks I had seeding BB in my black sand tanks dropped little tiny black sand particles on the sand from the little volcanic pockets :(

so what do u think is better? brownish sand or white?

Short answer - White

Long answer - :whistle:

:popcorn:

I have had the white sand for two years, previously had crushed quartz and it was stunning, but got green algae and sun and chlorine bleached and boiled and scrubbed with salt, nothing kept it away. Also had natural gravel.

After going with the original sand, the CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight sand, every one always comments on how amazing it looks. Not had any algae issues as of this writing. Fine grains just floats too much and eats up impellers. Although is easy to clean, just vacuum.

Bought the Black Petco sand and it looks great in the Edge aquarium and it looks too dark for my liking in my 32 half hex, also have dark root rock/ back ground just too dark for me. Doesn't float into filter but is a little funny occasionally a small bunch of sand will float until you poke it with your finger then sinks. Very light and the Cories love it.

A friend of mine has the tannish natural sand and it looks good especially with plants very natural.

Sorry this is such a long answer, but I like the white the best. I think it takes the look up a notch toward elegant. I was originally going to go with black.

The garnet sand can be in several colors depending on where it is mined. Some tending toward tan and black but there is multi color effect with golds, tan, red, black or - rosey purple or - purple, grey, black, white. Pretty neat combinations.

I will vacuum the sand again, and scoop out some of the little black specs of sand when I have more time. lol should get the most of it.

Back
Top Bottom