Help with salinity!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
All has been going well today got home and my firefish isnt looking good i checked my salilinty and its low 1.022 how do i bring it up?

Very slowly with water changes that have a higher salinity... I don't know the time frame but I would imagine 10% water changes every other day til it's brought back up... What was your salinity usually testing at? Was it a sudden drop? I'm not too sure if the salinity level alone would make your fish not look too hot..

I dont know I took my water to test and they told me it was high amd not to let it raise anymore.

Ive added some more store bought water to top off since it needed any way how long should i wait to retest?

Im checking other perams as we speak!

Ok ph 8.2 nitrite and ammonia 0 and nitrate at 10.

Im still thinking it was the salinity.?

I usually to top offs with aquafina bottle water could that be it?

I'm asking what they told you was high...? Salinity, ph, ammonia, etc?

Benamayer said:
I'm asking what they told you was high...? Salinity, ph, ammonia, etc?

Oh sorry salinity everything was fine.

Am I doing this right?

Attachments

• image-2994654927.jpg
    image-2994654927.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 55
Yea looks a bit low, but fish will live in 1.022. I keep y FOWLR at 1.026. I would just do 10% water changes every other day. Just mix the new water at 1.026. It should only take a few to bring it back up. How big is the tank?

Benamayer said:
Yea looks a bit low, but fish will live in 1.022. I keep y FOWLR at 1.026. I would just do 10% water changes every other day. Just mix the new water at 1.026. It should only take a few to bring it back up. How big is the tank?

It's a BioCube 29g I've had the fish for 1 week everybody else look good.

Depending on your evaporation, you might just be able to top off with saltwater to bring it back up slowly.

spoonman said:
Depending on your evaporation, you might just be able to top off with saltwater to bring it back up slowly.

That's what I'm trying how much should I add and how long should I wait to test?

spoonman said:

Good call spoon... Didn't even think about it that way...

He does not look like he's gonna make it!

Look at his stomach maybe it wasn't the salinity ...parasites? I've been feeding them frozen food everyday and he's been eating! Fine I thought.

Attachments

• image-399518539.jpg
    image-399518539.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 88
Benamayer said:
Unfortunately he doesn't look good... How's he behaving?

Dead :( my lfs said they don't replace marine fish and that the purple fire fish is a little finicky.

But they were gonna give me a regular fire fish since I had him for only a week and since I buy there a lot!

You won't get an accurate pH reading after bottling a sample of water from your tank and transporting it to your LFS. Once you take the water out of the system, the oxygenation ends and the pH will gradually drop.

Do you know what the salinity was of the water that was in the bag when you bought the fish compared to the salinity of the water in your system? The bigger the difference in salinity, the longer you need to acclimate the fish to your water by slowing adding your water to the water in the bag with the fish.

Back
Top Bottom