Help with sick Guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I suggested to him - contact your store. Maybe they will trade you some males for females or trade the couple females for males.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy- how big is your tank? The other option if the tank is big enough you could get a plexiglass divider and section the tank into two halves one side for female and one side for males

I have a 29 gallon set up and another 29 that i am in the process of setting up... when i get the other one set up i am going to move the guppies and endlers into that tank and keep the other fish in the one thats already set up and running... i have pretty much learned the hard way on most things and got some good advice from here.. again i have had allot of problems from the start and finally have gotten it straightened out.

It is tough. I don't think the lfs do it on purpose- there are just sooooo many species and different thugs to consider and some fish do the opposite of others and I think when they give bad info it is a combo of something slightly out of their league or they are having a bad/long day or whatever.

The other thing though- is places like petsmart and the chains will hire anyone. I see a lot of people who just like animals so they get a job there and don't always have good info - and it just a temporary job not something they plan on staying at forever, you know?

At the same time I am lucky- the local petsmart here has vERY knowledgable people. I've learned over time if it isn't the few people I know/trust giving the info I check here and google/research a ton before I buy

i finally realized that before i buy google and make sure of what i like is what i compatible for what i already have. it was silly of me to rely on a store to give accurate information, as you said they are most likely working as a temp job to make some cash.. unless its a private owned store

The picture you posted definitely looks like a female :)

Oh no! Lol

Here's another pic. It's hard to see clearly because of the netting. I think I see a pointy fin like a male (??)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407122360.994393.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hard to tell. First picture looks 100% female which would explain a lot. Second picture could be a male though.

Yeah. I thought the first pic looked very female. This new pic is hard to tell :/

It looks male. No gravid spot. I found a picture of a similar colored, but female, to illustrate. See the dark spot before the fin?

That tells you its female. I've never seen a female as large as yours but did not have the gravid spot unless it had just given birth.

Do not add females unless you want lots and lots and lots of baby guppies. I just got rid of my guppy because I got tired of trying to find places to take them.

I have housed males by themselves without having aggressive issues, but I always put a lot of plants in there so they have places to hide.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407123408915.jpg
    1407123408915.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
I'll try to get a better picture. It's hard with the mesh, but as soon as I let him out the others go right after him. :( If it is a female, would the others be "pecking" at her constantly? They look like the are biting. If so, guppy courtship leaves a lot to be desired haha.

How long should I keep him "quarantined" in the mesh? I've tried to release him 3 times and always have to put him back.

"Caged" fish won't eat this morning. He just swims around the inside of the box with his mouth to the surface but won't eat.

I let the "caged" fish out into the tank this morning. The other 2 started immediately attacking him. I put the other 2 in the breeder box for now to let "caged" fish swim a bit. He's not acting quite right I don't think. He just swims slowly along the top with his nose to the surface. He won't really let down his lower fins so I still haven't been able to get a better pic. Do you think he's still sick? Traumatized?

You might want to add a little bit of stress coat if you have it. It can't hurt yah know?

Other than that I am stumped. Maybe try adding like 4 females if you have the space to see if that helps? At least with 4 it would keep at worst case a 4 female to 3 male ratio. And if it turns out she is female 5:2 which is a better ratio.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407171546.462794.jpg

Better pic? What's the big swollen yellow area? I don't see a gravid spot like mentioned before, but this fish is definitely bigger and rounder than the 2 others.

I removed to 2 bullies to a large glass bowl while I do a water change. I can't leave them for even a minute with the 3rd because they are relentless!

View attachment 245594

Better pic? What's the big swollen yellow area? I don't see a gravid spot like mentioned before, but this fish is definitely bigger and rounder than the 2 others.

I removed to 2 bullies to a large glass bowl while I do a water change. I can't leave them for even a minute with the 3rd because they are relentless!

That is a male fish.. you may want to google dropsy.. his belly does look swollen.. how big is your tank and what else did you say you have in it? i have only been doing this a couple months now but i have had more than my fair share of guppy issues... as explained to me because they way they are breed their systems may not be as strong as other fish.. i was having at least 1 die every day, and the water was fine, all died same way.. come to find out i had a very aggressive algae eater who was getting them. because i was having so many die i was doing water changes most every other day so there wasnt enough to satisfy the algae eater.. but now that he is gone i still have lost a couple, tail fins have gotten stuck in the filter.. i would suggest googling info on guppies, it may not help today but it will at some point and will help give you insight on guppies.. i wish i could be more help. but unless your able to get a good side view pic of them we cant tell you if they are male/ female. once you see the difference between the 2 sexes you will know in the future.. the lfs orders but even if they order only male there is chance females will sneak in somehow.. if thats a female and the other 3 are male your question is answered. they are trying to spawn. Look for the gravid spot, i will try and explain where it is.. if the fish is sideways start from the tail fin and look to the head when you see the area where the fish body starts to form the "oblong shape", you will or wont see a dark spot. generally females tail fins are not as fanned or as large at the males. heres a pic for you, it is pretty clear, the female is the yellow and the black finned is a male. you can see the differance in tail fins, you can also see her gravid (dark spot), and it clearly shows no male fin underneath (gondofin - however you spell it).. i do hope this helps... good luck and i do agree with the other to ask lfs for possible trade.

Attachments

• 7-27 pregnant.jpg
    7-27 pregnant.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 36
...generally females tail fins are not as fanned or as large at the males. heres a pic for you, it is pretty clear, the female is the yellow and the black finned is a male.

(Correction) females have the fan and males have the tip or sword. And Guppies may also change sex.

Since he is pretty big, I wouldn't feed him for a day just to see if he is constipated. Try to boil a pea or microwave one, peel off the skin and give some to him. It helps with digestion :) and it's okay to skip a day of feeding. Think about the fish that get shipped. They starve for a whole week. Anyway, hope this helps. I love guppies.

guppy vs endler

(Correction) females have the fan and males have the tip or sword. And Guppies may also change sex.

krissy i agree if you are speaking on the terms of an endler, but i am pretty sure that guppy males fin is larger. i have both guppy and endler and there's a pretty big difference with the males, i can see how a female endler and guppy could be mistaken though. people please chime in here.... top photo endler male, bottom photo on the top yellow/black tail male guppy.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 7-23-2014.jpg
    7-23-2014.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom