Help!! Wrong size filter? (Please read!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry about it, that is not the wrong filter at all. Obviously more filtration is better, but it is rated for a 30 so it'll cycle your tank enough times to keep it clean it filters 150gal per hour, the is sufficient. I used to have a marineland 30 gal filter for my 29 and it worked great. Like stated befor make sure you do weekly water changes, which is good to do anyway. But you'll be fine.

Yes you can grow plants in sand. All depends on what plants you want. Some will require liquid fertilizers and others root tablet fertilizers. What kind of lighting do you have? that way we can recommend some plants for your tank. :)

Don't worry about it, that is not the wrong filter at all. Obviously more filtration is better, but it is rated for a 30 so it'll cycle your tank enough times to keep it clean it filters 150gal per hour, the is sufficient. I used to have a marineland 30 gal filter for my 29 and it worked great. Like stated befor make sure you do weekly water changes, which is good to do anyway. But you'll be fine.

Thank you! Mine's doing fine so far too, so hopefully it stays that way!

Yes you can grow plants in sand. All depends on what plants you want. Some will require liquid fertilizers and others root tablet fertilizers. What kind of lighting do you have? that way we can recommend some plants for your tank. :)

I was hoping for some low light ones, haha this is my first tank (the tank was given to me) and I'm not totally clueless but I'm not an expert. The tank doesn't have a hood, just a plexiglass cover we made for it. It is near a window in a well-lit room but would this be a problem for most if not all plants?

You have to watch the temps with natural light. It might cause your tank to heat up too much. If you are using natural light look into Diana Walstad's method. Google Walstad Method or look on youtube. You would need potting soil but her method utilizes natural light and the plants get the ferts from the soil. I have her book, its very technical and most of the info is online.

Back
Top Bottom