HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaw1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I've had my 20 gal tank for like a month and a half. I got some fish in there but I have a common pleco. I recently found out they grow to be huge! He's like 3 inches rn. How long can I keep him in my 20 gal before he grows too big. I really want to keep him. The only problem rn is that his is huge. Also just an extra question, I bought a gravel vac but it barely has any suction power. Any tips on that? Thanks:thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on what you feed him. It'll be a couple of years before he grows out of the tank, but I would start looking at the cost before too long. I would suggest if you want to continue to keep him in investing in a 55g tank. That way, he has some room to grow and the tank itself isn't astronomically huge.

If you're actually talking about excrement, that comes with the territory. Keep up with the gravel vac. Incidentally, which vac did you purchase?

It all depends on what you feed him. It'll be a couple of years before he grows out of the tank, but I would start looking at the cost before too long. I would suggest if you want to continue to keep him in investing in a 55g tank. That way, he has some room to grow and the tank itself isn't astronomically huge.

If you're actually talking about excrement, that comes with the territory. Keep up with the gravel vac. Incidentally, which vac did you purchase?

Thanks I purchased a Aqueon one that was cheap and designed for 20 gal tanks and it has like a squeeze thing to start it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Love the pleco, hate the poop. They are an eating pooping machine, cool fish but I'm done with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks I purchased a Aqueon one that was cheap and designed for 20 gal tanks and it has like a squeeze thing to start it.

I have no clue how to use those to be honest... I just use the one that operates on gravity. :)

The squeezy part often breaks, be gentle with it and hopefully not twist it around too much.

I would return the Pleco and exchange it for a Bushy aka Bristlenose Pleco can be brown, calico, or albino also Dragon varieties, and only get ~4". There are also others like a Clown Pleco or Rubbernose aka Bulldog Pleco. They are fun fish to keep, but I would swith right away and then you can enjoy the little guy for a long time.

Unless you want a larger tank, even though a 55G will be okay for awhile, but even that tank is not appropriate size for an adult common Pleco as it is 12" from front to back and the Plecos can get 18" easily. Too short a depth to turn around as an adult.

Common Plecos shouldn't be sold as regular tank stock fish. They are huge tank polluters too.

The squeezy part often breaks, be gentle with it and hopefully not twist it around too much.

I would return the Pleco and exchange it for a Bushy aka Bristlenose Pleco can be brown, calico, or albino also Dragon varieties, and only get ~4". There are also others like a Clown Pleco or Rubbernose aka Bulldog Pleco. They are fun fish to keep, but I would swith right away and then you can enjoy the little guy for a long time.

Unless you want a larger tank, even though a 55G will be okay for awhile, but even that tank is not appropriate size for an adult common Pleco as it is 12" from front to back and the Plecos can get 18" easily. Too short a depth to turn around as an adult.

Common Plecos shouldn't be sold as regular tank stock fish. They are huge tank polluters too.

Well is it alright if I keep it for another month? Will pet stores even take in my pleco? He is still the size he is when I bought him. I think he's common I'm going to upload a pic

Well is it alright if I keep it for another month? Will pet stores even take in my pleco? He is still the size he is when I bought him. I think he's common I'm going to upload a pic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467816622.505600.jpg

Looks like a common one, the pic isn't as clear as would be ideal.

You can keep him until he is a little bigger but it really does get harder and harder to rehome them as you have him around longer. Petco when they have room or a independent lfs will take them in for a rehome. Petco will resell at a reduced adoption price and lfs at a regular price to recoup the care costs.

Also a Pleco benefits greatly from real wood in the tank, so if you don't have any, check into getting some asap!

Looks like a common one, the pic isn't as clear as would be ideal.

You can keep him until he is a little bigger but it really does get harder and harder to rehome them as you have him around longer. Petco when they have room or a independent lfs will take them in for a rehome. Petco will resell at a reduced adoption price and lfs at a regular price to recoup the care costs.

Also a Pleco benefits greatly from real wood in the tank, so if you don't have any, check into getting some asap!

Yeah I have two driftwood pieces in it

Back
Top Bottom