Helping starfish heal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atjohns84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a Red/Orange Linkia star from an LFS Wednesday. It is about 1.5 inches around so it cant be very old. When I got it it was already missing most of one ray or leg. The guy at the store told me they regenerate. What can I do to help it? Some people have said give it a clean cut to prevent infection. Is that right? Did I get hosed?

I acclimated it for about 2 hrs and it has been moving around the tank glass and appears to be eating some of the algae off of the glass.

Are there any meds or vitamins I can put in to help him heal faster? What about the cut? There is a little bit of black stuff around the wound. Is that good or bad?

Please let me know.

Just make sure of good water quality. I would probably do a water change to help out. The leg will grow back.

Most of these starfish don't do very well. If the starfish was missing a leg already I would say that he may have been on the decline.

Two hours for acclimation is much too short IMO for a linkia (or any invert really).

I agree...good water quality is your friend and just watch him.

Back
Top Bottom