Herdness in my area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live around Hillsboro, NC, and I have only a little idea about the hardness of my water. It is sort of hard. I looked on the internet (for hours and hours and hours:banghead:), and all I get from that is that my "water quality is 74/100 (more is better)"

I don't understand what that means.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me how to get it tested (does Petco have Water hardness?), or just flat out tell me how hard my water is. Because I just lost two gouramis, and am looking to add some corys, and don't want to loose any more fish to stupid mistakes.

You should buy an API liquid test kit for the basics (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH) if you don't own one, as well as a hardness kit (KH and GH). I doubt your water hardness had anything to do with your fish losses, but you should know your numbers. How long has your tank been set up? What do you do to your water during changes (to remove chorine, etc)? Is your tank cycled? I have hard water and high pH and keep gouramis just fine. Let us know more about the tank.

If you purchased your locally, they should have been used to the same hardness of water as you have in your tank. As the above poster said though, you can buy a test for it. You can ask an lfs if they do that test. I have never heard of that being one of the free tests, but I have also never asked.

Your Tank Water

Hello Gibb...

You don't need to worry about the chemistry of your tap water, it's not that important. Aquarium fish you get at the pet store are very capable of adjusting to the vast majority of public water supplies.

If you're starting out or it's been some time since you've kept fish, then go with very hardy species like Danios, Platys or Rasboras.

Get back on track by reviewing proper tank set up, cycling and maintanence. Once you get the hang of things, then you can move toward keeping a more challenging fish species.

B

Perhaps you can contact your local water authority for a water analysis report if you are still curious about your water.
Fish are adaptable as mentioned above. You may want to emphasize the acclimation process (drip) for all new acquisitions.

I have had this tank for over a year, with a red tailed shark and some angels living very happily in it. I don't have any tests other than ammonia and nitrites, because that was what I was worried about at the time that I was getting tests. And I don't do anything to my water, because we live out in the country and have well water, without any government regulated additives.

Back
Top Bottom