Hermit Crab Molted (pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_a_wickstrom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know a lot of people worry the first time their hermit crabs molt, which is perfectly understandable. Finding bits of crab scattered about the tank, or a perfectly formed little carapice can be rather disturbing. Add to this the fact that the crab needs to hide for a few days to let the new exoskeleton harden and it's very easy to assume that the crab has died.

My red-striped hermit molted last night, after two days of hanging out on top of the rock work, hiding in his shell. The first time he did this, we assumed there was something wrong with him and checked on him a couple of times. Then one morning pieces of him were around the tank. I had read enough at this point to know what had happened, luckily for the peace of mind of my 5 year old. :lol:

This morning I woke up to find the carapice in near-perfect condition. I couldn't resist taking pictures.

img_532848_0_699de610fdef7b86a9396dc03d65b8a7.jpg

img_532848_1_cf74c90c486d32d46ed77800e8dfffba.jpg

Joleen

I have three lobsters in a freshwater tank that go through the same thing. First time it happened was the same night I added the second lobster, so naturally I thought one had eaten the other!

It's a neat thing to see, especially when you have lobsters of different colours. I just recently had two molt in the same day - one from firetruck red to a black with red markings, the other remaining in his bright blue. However, it appears he's lost an arm in the molting, so perhaps some fighting did occur while he was still fragile. It's a shame I can't put them in my reef tank.

The first time my Cleaner Shrimp molted my wife insisted that I had purchased another Shrimp. I had to pull it out to show her that it was just his skin ... and then she said COOOOOL!!!

Did he eat his shell? My lobster (crayfish) ate his shell after he molted...I guess it gives them calcium to help harden the new shell.

Jeff

Yes she did, I caught her snacking on it at night. The other lobsters also went on a binge as there was leftover parts of old shell all over the tank before I had a chance to clean it out. I never thought about adding calcium to a freshwater tank, but I suppose I should...

lol

When mine first molted I was like WTF!?!

Then I see it scampering around the lr and I was like... oh..lol

My corl banded shrimp month after I got it. I thought it died and im like YES!!!!!!! But then I see that little beast climbing the plant at the corner of the tank...

I usually leave the exo-skele in the tank. The only time I remove the cleaner shrimps exo is when it gets sucked to a power head.

I about **** my pants the first time my molted.

same here. i thought my crabs were dead when i saw the legs lying around so i was about to buy some more. then later in the day, all of them came out to play. i was like WTH!? pretty cool tho.

do they molt because they are getting bigger?

Back
Top Bottom