Hermit Crabs Don't Molt... Do They?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Today I turned on the light to our tank and found what looked like our hermit crabs dead body (with out the shell). So naturally I take a look at the shell, and to my suprize He is in the shell.

I pulled out the dead body and it was definitly the hermit crab. So that brings on the question... Do Hermit crabs molt?

We only have this one hermit crab. When we first got him he would walk around a little and pick threw the rocks, but for the last about week, he has found a spot under a rock and doesn't move. I pulled him out from under the rock a few days ago to make sure he was still alive, and even though I didn't see him come out of his shell, sure enough he was back under the rock the next day.

I have not seen him fully out of the shell in over a week, I just see his claws out of the bottom of the shell..

Thanks,

-TheChad

yes they molt, and he probably hasnt been out much because he was working on doing just that...

You may want to place some additional larger empty shells in there so he can move into them as he grows.

Mike

LFS is good about having a ton of shells extra. I just smooze them for like a 6-12 for a buck. Heck I even get the ones with some coraline on them. Talk about a deal for a buck. Those go into my canister instead. ;)

Back
Top Bottom