hermit crabs, good/bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeathWarp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed my hermit crabs knocking around my corals. The guy at the LFS here said this wouldn't happen. Yet i'm starting to hear that hermit crabs are not a good idea for reef tanks. If this is true, is there anyother kinds of crabs that would be better for cleaning around, that won't keep knocking my corals off the rocks. Thanx

I agree the blue legged ones shouldn't be a problem. They don't get to large. Accidents will happen though if you don't secure your corals down well.

Nah; they arent blue legged. I did have a blue leg that came with some polyps by accident mind you.. these just appear to be a regular brown hermy.

Most crabs are opportunistic and they will eat and knock over what they can to get to what they want to eat. Personally, I like them. I think Scarlets and Blue Legs not only add to the diversity to a tank, but they also help eat detritus and algae that might not otherwise be taken care of.

That said, some crabs will also pick and climb over corals. My scarlets use to love climbing up my Acros and Birds Nests. It drove me crazy and I am sure the coral didn't appreciate it either.

My hermits have yet to bother anything in the tank that wasn't food or poo..
Well.. htey like to nibble on the tubes of the feather duster worms, but I imagine they are just cleaning (since I have 5 quite large tube worms, and they are alive and well..even after I shucked one once :roll:)

Alright, so I guess its nothing to really worry about then. I have secured the corals much better now, so it shouldnt be an issue. Thank You

Hermits are great. If yours are not blue leg or scarlets return them to the LFS for some small ones.

I also use an underwater apoxy to secure all my corals.

Petco sells 3"-4" SW hermit crabs. (cheap for $3.99) You said brown which made me think of them 8O It's not one of the "big" hermits is it?
largehermit2tx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom