hermit crabs, good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurandavid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok from what I read the hermits do have some use , however it looks like they will eat snails in the aquarium if I have them also. It also looks like this is unavoidable even if I have empty shells available.

Is this correct? So my question is , why do most of the cleaner packs have hermits? Do I need them? What about the dwarf varieties?

The dwarf hermits...Mexican Red Legs, Blue Legs, Scarlets, etc are reef safe. I have lots and they do not bother any of my snails. They will, however, pounce on a dead or dying snail. That's why they are part of a clean up crew.

Hermits are really great scavengers like cccapt said, but they do like bigger homes (as they grow) and do sometime take a snail down. If you want a few, then by all means get a few. You can try providing extra shells and it might work. If it doesn't then you'll just have to replace a few snails, and in my experience, the snail eating only happens for a while. The dwarf hermits will stop growing and not need a bigger shell.

I have had no trouble with my reef hermits. I have mostly scarlet hermtis. As Lindsay said, providing a few extra shells of various sizes is a good thing. It will keep the hermits from stealing a shell and evicting the current resident.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom