Hey, can i put a pleco with a goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, I really want a pleco, like bad, I think they are the coolest things in the world, but I would rather not have my moor suffering , I would rather not have the pleco and have my moor be happy, thanks:)

And...you want it to change into that gorgeous orange/gold...:brows:;)

Seriously though, your Moor will be gorgeous even if he/she stays black...

Hopefully, I want it to be happy, even if that means not being able to put some of my favorite fish with it, just added a rubber lip pleco for my 50 gallon, but if I cant put one with my moor, it'll be ok, just want him to be happy, healthy, and possibly that beautiful gold and black:)

Well, I live in el paso tx( western tip of Texas) so the temperature probably doesn't drop that low( the tank is unheated) so will the pleco be ok in unheated water?

Should be fine, our NY weather gets pretty cold at night, so I need the heater now... but in the spring/summer I will most likely remove it.

Hopefully, I want it to be happy, even if that means not being able to put some of my favorite fish with it, just added a rubber lip pleco for my 50 gallon, but if I cant put one with my moor, it'll be ok, just want him to be happy, healthy, and possibly that beautiful gold and black:)

There it is (y)

There's a reason why cories are not a good idea for a goldfish tank. Goldfish get big. Big fish = big mouth. Goldfish will eat or attempt to eat anything that even remotely looks like it will be the right size to fit into its mouth. Eg: a cory. Many small fish end up as goldfish food this way. The problem with cories is they have spines in their gills. These spines will cause them to get stuck in the gold fish's mouth. It can cause injury or death for one or both fish. Same reason why cories don't belong in most cichlid tanks.

Lol, my Goldfish aren't much bigger than the cories right now, so that would be a concern later down the road at best. Not to mention they are fed well and aren't thinking about making food of the cories at all. I think they are bonding to a point where they know better than to try that. I may add a loach soon... I've been doing some research.

Goldfish + pleco- biggining ok. After few months goldfish will be a dominator. It's a metter of time

I had a pleco living with my goldfish for 3 years he never really bothered the goldfish at all I only recently moved him into another tank lately so he could have more peace. He dealt with the goldfish okay but at some point I had gotten a larger pleco and he got picked on by my goldfish and eventually died :( I think my little one is used to it so he lived okay till now. I would say it's okay as long as you provide lots of food that the pleco can access and a nice hiding spot.

Ok, you guys have convinced me, I'll give it a shot, I still have to go to petsmart to go get filters for the 10 gallon and for the 50 gallon, so might as well buy a rubber lip pleco, that's the only pleco I can keep with the goldfish, right?

Well here is the tank, I think the middle piece would be good hiding place for the pleco right?

Attachments

• image-815341172.jpg
    image-815341172.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 85
Well here is the tank, I think the middle piece would be good hiding place for the pleco right?

Yeah, pretty much any "cave-like" decor is gonna provide adequate shelter for the cats that like to hide in there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic posts have been removed.

Please keep the topic of the thread relevant to the original OP and take all off topic chit chat to the chat room or private messaging. If off topic chat continues a member of the site team may be force to close the thread.

If you keep your parameters in shape, you won't have a problem with algae ;) Then you won't need a pleco, and then your goldfish won't have its slime coat sucked off.

Off topic posts have been removed.

Please keep the topic of the thread relevant to the original OP and take all off topic chit chat to the chat room or private messaging. If off topic chat continues a member of the site team may be force to close the thread.

Ok thanks, I didn't know about this, kind of new to the forum, won't do it again

Hey its me again with some questions:)

So, I have been really thinking about putting the rubber lip pleco with my black moor, I saw some Chinese algae eaters, thinking that they would grow smaller, or am I wrong. What is the better choice, please help! Also I got a second filter for the tank. Thank you:)

So, I have been really thinking about putting the rubber lip pleco with my black moor, I saw some Chinese algae eaters, thinking that they would grow smaller, or am I wrong. What is the better choice, please help! Also I got a second filter for the tank. Thank you:)

CAE will outgrow the Rubber Lip and are just as dangerous for your moor sorry.

CAE are nasty little fish, and best avoided. A female Bn will do a better job of cleaning your tank and are more fun to watch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom