Hey, can you give me a little advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I am planning on buying a 20 gallon tank to house my black moor with 5 white mountain minnows, 10 ghost shrimp, and two dojo(weather) loaches. Now I would like to completely clean out the 10 gallon they are currently on, and buy some tropical fish. Would some good additions be 5 zebra danios, three cherry barbs, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 otocinclus(ottos), 4 black kuhli loaches, and two African dwarf frogs. Any help or tips I can get on my tropical and on my goldfish tank would really be appreciated thanks :)

Yes that kind of tank, and I have a 80 gallons per hour filter, change about 70% of water weekly

A 20g tank is too small for the fish you already have. Plus mixing tropicals and cold water fish are not a good idea. Also goldies produce copious amounts of waste and add alot of ammonia in the water. If your moor is small now it won't stay that way so if you can afford a 30g tank that would be much more suitable for it's eventual size. It's good that your doing large WC's weekly.

A 20g tank is too small for the fish you already have. Plus mixing tropicals and cold water fish are not a good idea. Also goldies produce copious amounts of waste and add alot of ammonia in the water. If your moor is small now it won't stay that way so if you can afford a 30g tank that would be much more suitable for it's eventual size. It's good that your doing large WC's weekly.

Well no, maybe you misunderstood the 20 gallon is for goldfish minnows and weather loaches, the 10 gallon is for the tropical fish

Yep, misunderstood but the moor will need a larger tank as it grows. As for the 10 gallon your stock is going to be limited. The kuhli loaches will be okay so long as you only do 4 and Oto's are fine for that size tank. But IMO Danio's and Barbs are too large. Smaller nano fish do much better in 10g's. The ADF's would be good but you would need to target feed them with their poor eyesight and since they are messy feeders the kuhli's would be a good cleanup crew. Something like 5 guppies or some Endlers would be great for that size tank. Many people feel neons need a bigger tank but I'm one of the ones who feels they are fine for a 10g. Also Harliquen rasbora's would be a good choice.

Hi, I am planning on buying a 20 gallon tank to house my black moor with 5 white mountain minnows, 10 ghost shrimp, and two dojo(weather) loaches. Now I would like to completely clean out the 10 gallon they are currently on, and buy some tropical fish. Would some good additions be 5 zebra danios, three cherry barbs, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 otocinclus(ottos), 4 black kuhli loaches, and two African dwarf frogs. Any help or tips I can get on my tropical and on my goldfish tank would really be appreciated thanks :)

So wait....you ARE getting a 20 gallon for the Moor now?

Wow, ok thanks for all this, any other fish ideas, especially if sold at petsmart for the 10 gallon?

Well, aparentely, I told my parents that they don't even help me maintain the fish at all and they benefit from watching it in the living room and dining room (remember the big 55 gallon one) so they just said to do whatever I want, but that I better take care of my fish, so I think I officially am getting a 20 gallon:) any more tips from you, really liked your help:)

Well, aparentely, I told my parents that they don't even help me maintain the fish at all and they benefit from watching it in the living room and dining room (remember the big 55 gallon one) so they just said to do whatever I want, but that I better take care of my fish, so I think I officially am getting a 20 gallon:) any more tips from you, really liked your help:)

While I appreciate the candid expression of appreciation :cool:(y):D, I would better serve your tropical fish questions by passing them on to someone with more experience mixing these kinds and such; the last time I kept tropicals was a long time ago, when I was a boy, and my dad and I used to maintain the tank in my room together...I can recall Angels and Gouramis not really mixing all that well, and with community tanks, it's all about learning which fish are less aggressive to be mixed with others, etc. From what I remember, I always said I would keep a tank of JUST Angels if I did trops again, because for the most part they're peaceful together (though they ARE Discus, so who knows; there have been reports of very aggressive, fighting Angels) and would be careful of what fish I mixed in there with them -- whenever I put, for example, Gouramis with Angels, I would wake up the next day with the Angels being ripped to pieces, nothing left to them but their torsos...it was pretty horrific...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom