Hey guys!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone!! I just recently got my first aquarium, on Tuesday, March 19, 2013! It's a freshwater aquarium with 7 tropical creatures total: 2 Dalmatian Lyre tail mollies, 2 sunburst platy, and 3 ghost shrimp that I added on Thursday, March 21, 2013! I have 4 artificial plants and a volcano bubbler! My tank is a TopFin 10 gallon tank with a hood with lights, a filter, and I will be purchasing a heater tomorrow considering my parents will start turning the Air Conditioner on dropping the room temp into the 60's considering we are heading into summer, here in Texas our days get into the high 90's. I am hoping to meet very knowledgable people whom I can ask info for and who can help me keep my fish alive with the recommended care products! Next Saturday I hope to add a few more fish to my aquarium to "liven" it up a little bit! If you have any helpful starter tips for me then please share!! I would love to get my aquarium set up as a "self-maintaining" tank if possible! :)

Hello everyone!! I just recently got my first aquarium, on Tuesday, March 19, 2013! It's a freshwater aquarium with 7 tropical creatures total: 2 Dalmatian Lyre tail mollies, 2 sunburst platy, and 3 ghost shrimp that I added on Thursday, March 21, 2013! I have 4 artificial plants and a volcano bubbler! My tank is a TopFin 10 gallon tank with a hood with lights, a filter, and I will be purchasing a heater tomorrow considering my parents will start turning the Air Conditioner on dropping the room temp into the 60's considering we are heading into summer, here in Texas our days get into the high 90's. I am hoping to meet very knowledgable people whom I can ask info for and who can help me keep my fish alive with the recommended care products! Next Saturday I hope to add a few more fish to my aquarium to "liven" it up a little bit! If you have any helpful starter tips for me then please share!! I would love to get my aquarium set up as a "self-maintaining" tank if possible! :)

Hello, I definitely wouldn't add being it's a brand new tank and you already added a few fish without cycling.

I would wait till your levels drop than introduce a couple more small fish after things have leveled out. Congrats on the new tank

Welcome to the forum

Oh, ok. I was told to let my tank sit with the filter on and a cartridge in it, while adding 5ml of water conditioner everyday, for 2-3 days before adding fish so I did... I got the fish and everything at petsmart and they said after about a week i could start adding fish so thats where that udea came from and after about 6 months I would need a siphon hose. I've been reading around and it seems like I would need a hose ASAP for weekly cleanings??

I would wait till your levels drop than introduce a couple more small fish after things have leveled out. Congrats on the new tank

That is another thing I saw that I needed, a water test kit. For some reason they didn't recommended it to me when I asked?? And thanks!! I'm excited!

I tried to reply, maybe it's delayed? Yah you will definitely want a siphon and your going to do regular water changes. As for them not recommending a test kit? I got nothing?

Hello, I definitely wouldn't add being it's a brand new tank and you already added a few fish without cycling.

Oh, ok. I was told to let my tank sit with the filter on and a cartridge in it, while adding 5ml of water conditioner everyday, for 2-3 days before adding fish so I did... I got the fish and everything at petsmart and they said after about a week i could start adding fish so thats where that udea came from and after about 6 months I would need a siphon hose. I've been reading around and it seems like I would need a hose ASAP for weekly cleanings??

I tried to reply, maybe it's delayed? Yah you will definitely want a siphon and your going to do regular water changes. As for them not recommending a test kit? I got nothing?

Hmm, ok. and yeah I was wandering why they didn't?

Anyways, a brand new filter in brand new water isn't doing anything unless you have filter media out of an established tank ( running beneficial bacteria thru). Water conditioner is just taking out chlorine/heavy metals out of your tap water. I would definitely get a test kit even if it's the strips to give you ballpark readings.

Your fish will get stressed and you might lose a couple ( maybe none) when ammonia levels peak, but not till they drop you will want to do a water change as this will just prolong the cycling process. Tho I have heard of ppl doing 5-10% water changes I have heard don't mess with it till it's complete.

Anyways, a brand new filter in brand new water isn't doing anything unless you have filter media out of an established tank ( running beneficial bacteria thru). Water conditioner is just taking out chlorine/heavy metals out of your tap water. I would definitely get a test kit even if it's the strips to give you ballpark readings.

Ooh ok, so what should I do until my tank is "established"? And what exactly is an "established tank"??

Your fish will get stressed and you might lose a couple ( maybe none) when ammonia levels peak, but not till they drop you will want to do a water change as this will just prolong the cycling process. Tho I have heard of ppl doing 5-10% water changes I have heard don't mess with it till it's complete.

Hmm, ok.

Ooh ok, so what should I do until my tank is "established"? And what exactly is an "established tank"??

First off, Petsmart employees know nothing about aquariums.
Now to your question. An established tank is a tank that will turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Bacteria living in your filter does this. Ammonia and nitrites are very poisonous to fish. Nitrates are less toxic. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to cycle, to my tank taking 5 months.
While your tank is establishing you need to constantly check water parameters with test kits (I highly reccomend API liquid test kit. 18$ on amazon, and will last you years). If ur ammonia or nitrites go above .25, do a waterchange. When ur nitrites and ammonia are 0, with nitrates present, ur cycled. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

-Andrew

You should get a test kit. :) you definitely need to be monitoring your levels more now than a month from now. An established tank is just a tank with enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load your inhabitants are putting on it. (there helping break down the bad stuff). Basically all the food not getting eaten, which overfeeding is BAD, all the fish waste turns to poison. Good bacteria builds up in your filter and your gravel and breaks it down. And when you don't have enough it accumulates and poisons your water.

First off, Petsmart employees know nothing about aquariums.
Now to your question. An established tank is a tank that will turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Bacteria living in your filter does this. Ammonia and nitrites are very poisonous to fish. Nitrates are less toxic. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to cycle, to my tank taking 5 months.
While your tank is establishing you need to constantly check water parameters with test kits (I highly reccomend API liquid test kit. 18$ on amazon, and will last you years). If ur ammonia or nitrites go above .25, do a waterchange. When ur nitrites and ammonia are 0, with nitrates present, ur cycled. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

-Andrew

Haha, yah that. I'm the slowest typer ever

You should get a test kit. :) you definitely need to be monitoring your levels more now than a month from now. An established tank is just a tank with enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load your inhabitants are putting on it. (there helping break down the bad stuff). Basically all the food not getting eaten, which overfeeding is BAD, all the fish waste turns to poison. Good bacteria builds up in your filter and your gravel and breaks it down. And when you don't have enough it accumulates and poisons your water.

Ooh ok! I see!

Back
Top Bottom