hey! new here and need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the help! Ill keep posting on her condition as time goes by

So she seems to be doing better swims alot more and isnt laying at the bottom too often but i did find white stringy stuff wrapped around an artificial plant, also i moved a comet goldfish from my pond to her old tank so the bacteria dosent die off the comet has been in the tank for two days and seems to be doing fine does anyone think i should move my black moor back?

The bacteria should survive as long as the water doesnt go stagnent just keep the fikter running the white stringy stuff could be poo and if its like that the moore coukd have internal parasites

It dosent need a source of ammonia? And is there any way to know if its a parasite or not?

No once the tank is established the bacteria can live for quiet a while people with ich go over a month with no live stock so it should be alright and im not to good with parasites maybe just look up internal parasites on the net and find a way to treat it also i forgot to mention when you move the fish from different temp waters make sure you acclimate it properly just plonking it straight into cold or warmwater will send the fish into shock and could kill it

I floated the fish in a bag for 15 min before i put them in but thanks for the tip and i will look it up thanks again

I floated the fish in a bag for 15 min before i put them in but thanks for the tip and i will look it up thanks again

Reintroduced her to the old tank shes doing fine so far parameters for new tank are
Ph- around 8.0
Ammonia-0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrates-between 40 and 20 ppm

shes sick again

i dropped her into the tank a few minutes ago and now shes laying down again i believe it might be the cold temperature not sure now that i think about it her tank at the pet store had a heater so i will buy a heater for her tank

Hi and welcome to AA!!

Can I ask if she is new or have you had her for awhile?

You mentioned in an earlier post your nitrates were 80-160ppm. Moors are quite sensitive to nitrate levels and this in addition to low levels of ammonia and nitrate would be more than enough to make any fancy bottom sit.

If she does seem to be more active in warmer temps, consider adding an adjustable heater that can keep the temp around 74-75.

I have had her for a few months and she is an adult also im actually working on getting her a heater a new tank (55gal) and once i have that set up get her a male so she can spawn lol

Do you know how old she is? A sexually mature female is not necessarily an adult. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Im not sure exactly how old is there a way to tell? She did release her eggs when i moved her to my community tank And could you tell me what i might be able to do to give her the best living conditions possible? Lol lastly is there a way to tell the sex of a young black moor?

She has a few white spots on her and some missing scales but i think thats from a log decoration she was hiding in when i had her in my community aquarium

Im not sure exactly how old is there a way to tell? She did release her eggs when i moved her to my community tank And could you tell me what i might be able to do to give her the best living conditions possible? Lol lastly is there a way to tell the sex of a young black moor?

Tell exactly? Honestly, it would be difficult without knowing anything in respect to her history. Generally, a female will start producing eggs somewhere in the 1-3yr range with 1.5-2 being average.

Best conditions are pretty simple and what most fish need-lots and lots of healthy water and a good diet. Fancies, as they are messy fish with the potential to grow quite large, do best with big tanks and frequent big water changes. Daily veggies and either quality sinking pellet or gelfood. Some fresh proteins are beneficial, too.

Sexing goldfish can be difficult even in ideal conditions. Sexually mature males develop white bumps/bubbles (breeding tubercles) on their gill plates and pectoral fins when in good condition. They also can be vented (males have a concave vent). Males tend to be more slender through the abdomen while females appear more round but this doesn't apply to all breeds.

If you absolutely want a male, consider purchasing a fish from a breeder so you can have a guarantee of gender. Not a guarantee though the male will be interested in breeding! :)

Even if they dont breed as long as she has a buddy and shes about 5-6 inches long already dont know if that matters for age ill post a picture of her in a few so you can see how shes doing

Fed her peas shes back to normal ammonia and nitrites are still at 0 nitrates spiked to 160 tho so i will be doing 25% WC twice a week to keep them low

Fed her peas shes back to normal ammonia and nitrites are still at 0 nitrates spiked to 160 tho so i will be doing 25% WC twice a week to keep them low

I would definitely up your wcs. With 160+ppm of nitrate, 25% is not going to cut it. 50% wcs until they are below 20ppm then you will likely need to continue with 50% wcs 2-3x a week to keep them under control until she is in a larger tank. :)

Does anyone know the signs of nitrAte poisoning? My black moor keeps floating to the top and stays still then burst into swimming and floats again

I just did a 25% wc so theyre not the same but i tested a day or two ago and it was at 160-80 ppm

Back
Top Bottom