Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slyone6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m a newbie, my neighbor was going to just throw his kids fish away. Was a bad scene. Now I don’t know what the heck I’m doing. Two died. I’ve been researching, but it’s confusing. I now have 6 fish and two frogs. 4 are bottom feeders, 2 are bettas. Male and female. I had no time for cycling water, or we’ll all the steps ones supposed to do. I have two small tanks, 5 and a 3 gallon. I check the water , but honestly do not know what I’m doing . ?

Seperate the bettas.

Did the 2 tanks you mention come from your neighbours and might be established? Or are they new?

If you are doing water tests, what are the test results? These will help guide us to what issues you might be having?

When you say you dont know what to do, is that right back to basics and not knowing how to feed them, do water changes etc?

Link to some stickies for new fish keepers etc.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

Well there’s two betta one female one male and two albino catfish and two other catfish type. I have the male betta in a bowl I know it’s way too small, but the filter in the tank was way too hard. I can’t fishiest cycle cause the fish are already here. This is harder than I thought

They were not established tanks.
He had already taken one of them apart. It was ugly.
Ph is very high
Nitrite is .50 and 5.0
Nitrate 5.0 and 10

You should get a test for ammonia too.

Your target should be keeping ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm through water changes. If for instance you see 0.25ppm ammonia and 0 25ppm nitrite then do 25% water change. If they creep up higher, then do a bigger change.

Until you can get your ammonia test its probably best to do 25% water change daily.

What are your long term plans? If you want to keep the fish, you need 2 tanks. Probably 5g for the male betta and 10g for the other fish. Sorry i can't advise on frogs. Probably depends on the frog type.

Any more losses?

I have a test for everything , I have two tanks a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon. I have the male betta in a bowl and he’s great . The female betta in the 3 gallon and the other fish I’m the 5. No more losses of yet. Just can not get water correct

Back
Top Bottom