High alkaline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hurleyeagle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set up my 45 gallon tank and am waiting to put my afriican cichlids and bullhead catfish in until the water is safe. I have continued testing and it is always high in alkaline. The only things in there are the sand at the bottom (which i rinsed well before putting in and is a larger grain) and some rocks i used in my previous tank.

I put two feeder goldfish in the tank a few hours ago as guinee pigs and they are doing well. Any opinions on how to lower the alkaline or do you think its safe for my fish. Everything else reads normal except its a little hard but my fish are pretty hard too haha.

You should go ahead and post all of the parameters because it would with the responses.
I would keep the feeder goldfish in there for a while and observe them in the off chance that ich or other unwanted guest were introduced with them.

I'm assuming by "alkaline" you're referring to KH? Or are you referring to pH?

If the former, this can be addressed in a variety of ways: adding driftwood, using RO/DI water for your water changes instead of tap water, adding peat to your tank (in your filter), etc.. Just Google and you'll find all kinds of information.

If you're talking about pH, that's a bit more tricky. Driftwood will lower your pH, as will CO2. The former will also drop your KH, the latter will not.

Back
Top Bottom