High ammonia!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minni3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello.im new to the forum and looking some advice. ��

I'm new to Tropical fish, a friend gave me her tropical aquarium, she had for around a year, one guppy and a pleco in the tank.

After 2 weeks of
having the tank running I added 4 new guppies, they died within 24 hours..
Tested my aquarium water. Ammonia was reading 2.0 and nitrite also very high!

After water changes. Using stability and water conditionor, the ammonia dropped to 0.25 last week. This week ammonia reading around the 1.0 mark.. Everything else reading 0.

have a 75 litre tank and superfish filter, oxygen stone. Live planted tank..

I haven't added anymore fish to the tank. 30% water changes every few day. And getting higher. Any ideas!!!

Your ammonia is increasing and there is nothing alive apart from plants in your tank? You also arent dosing ammonia in any way? No fish food? Is all that correct?

Hi thanks for your reply.

No still one guppy and a pleco in the tank.
Feeding every other day in small amounts and removing un eaten pieces.

Yes live plants

I tested my tap water and its ammonia free.

I'm at a loss end

I would do 50% water change daily for the next 4 or 5 days. Once your ammonia and nitrite are down to near 0ppm you can cut back to 25% water changes. Water test daily, if you are seeing any ammonia or nitrite do water change. This might be daily water changes for several weeks.

If the numerous, big water changes arent bringing the ammonia down, there is something else going on. But for now i dont think you have been changing enough water during your fish in cycle.

Thank you.

Although I've been going by advise from my local pet store to never do anything more that 30%.. But I'll definitely try that..

Thanks

A big water change is better for your fish than living in toxic water.

I regularly do 50% water changes, many people do. If you are concerned, do 30%, then another 30% after a couple of hours.

Thank you so much I'll try this and see how I get on :)

Back
Top Bottom