High nitrate planted tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stupid iPhone! Anyway, the entire cycle my plants kept the nitrates below 10 ppm. I ran it for a couple days after ammo and trites went to zero, adding ammo and making sure they converted all the way in 24 hours.....so I did a big wc and added my fish the next day, 4 dainty cories and 3 tiger nerites to help with my diatom problem.
I noticed clamped fins, so tested, got shockingly high nitrates, did the test again making sure I made no mistakes and got the same results. I'm rectifying it now with a couple back-to-back wc, but I was wondering if I could get some input on what could have caused this? I had been dosing ammo to about 4 ppm before letting it zero and adding fish......and I even have more plants than when I started my cycle, so I'm really confused as to how this spiked so high in 3 days!

I just tested and I got it down to about 80, did another wc and will test again in an hour ><

Not tested yet, but quick update; the Cory cats are back to their crazy antics after just two wc! Would still be interested in opinions regarding why this happened so fast, especially in a planted tank where the plants had been gobbling up the nitrates before.....

Back
Top Bottom