High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you really stirred things up in the tank during the pwc. That will fuel more algae growth.

Where is that silicate coming from?

No more changes for 2 weeks. Let things settle out for a while. Just do pwc's and siphon what you can of the cyano. Then reassess the situation.

Those look like standard 10" cannisters. You may want to try AirWaterIce.com for a new set of filters. It looks that unit has 1 sediment filter, 1 carbon, then the RO membrane, then the DI cartridge. You may want to call or email AWC to get their recommendation on the filter set you want. I have 2 carbon chambers so I run a 10 micron sediment > 5 micron charcoal > 1 micron charcoal before the RO membrane.

I just ordered a SpectraPure® SilicaBuster Color Indicating Mixed Bed Multi Layer DI Cartridge but i will look into AirWaterIce.com cause I have decided to get a second set to have on hand when I need instead of having order and wait. Thanks

Well nitrates is a sign that the algae isn't eating it all. Did you get your snails?

It could also be a sign that the Nitrate is being produced faster than the algae can eat it, LOL! Yeah I added 12 Large Nerite and 12 Florida Cerith had about 8 of each and about 75 dwarf ceriths. Also got 15lbs of rubble rock today that is curing in the rubbermaid container

Right on. I'm watching closely because I'm sure I'm going to have lots of problems with my tank when I get it going... Trying to learn all I can while I wait.

Np! Thats alot of the reason I have kept this going for so long and why I am trying to keep it so detailed. I am trying to learn and help someone else learn if they have the same problem!

I don't really see an issue with your nitrate reading. Lower is always better for corals, but below 10 is tolerable.

When I used Boyd's I did not add an airstone. I just kept the surface agitation up for good gas exchange. You must shut down the skimmer for 24 hours. It will still go nuts when you turn it back on.

Any change in the algea problem/growth?

I found a mistake I made in my O2 test it actually reads 6 still would like it a little higher before I start using Boyd's. I have an extra pump so even tho I probably don't need it I am going to drop it in anyway i think. Also I will be gone all weekend and have a new DI cartridge coming for my RO/DI on Tuesday so I think i am going to wait till next weekend to use the Boyd's when I am home. As far as the algea problem it has not gotten any worse but has not gotten any better either. I have a few corals in the tank and to be honest the big issue I have with the nitrates is the algae. I will say this too I have worked my but off on these nitrates and it would be nice to see a 0 reading just once, LOL! I would be happy if the algae is gone and the nitrates get no higher than 2-5ppm. I want 0

I just got my nitrates back down to 2 (from 50+)and PO4 down to .03 (from .22). I did ~25 gallon PWC's for 4 straight days then a follow up 15 and I have another 25 ready to go tomorrow, That in a 125, so basically it was a close to a 100% PWC over a few days.

My DI is now starting to be depleted as I'm getting a TDS reading of 2, so I'll replace the resin before the next fill.

Have you tried daily PWC's yet of 20% -25%. That combined with siphoning the cyano might get you pretty close to where you want to be.

I just got my nitrates back down to 2 (from 50+)and PO4 down to .03 (from .22). I did ~25 gallon PWC's for 4 straight days then a follow up 15 and I have another 25 ready to go tomorrow, That in a 125, so basically it was a close to a 100% PWC over a few days.

My DI is now starting to be depleted as I'm getting a TDS reading of 2, so I'll replace the resin before the next fill.

Have you tried daily PWC's yet of 20% -25%. That combined with siphoning the cyano might get you pretty close to where you want to be.

If my nitrates hit 50 i would have a heart attack and slam my tank to the ground, LOL! I am that frustrated. I was doing a 50% water change every other day for awhile my nitrates were 160+ at one time.

My TDS is is still saying 0 but I have a silicate reading of 2 coming out of mine. So I am replacing the DI cartridge. I think I am also going to replace my RO membrane as mine is a 100gpd and from what I have been reading the 75gpd takes out 8% more junk from your water. 100gpd is rated at 90% and the 75gpd is rated at 97%-98%. That will also help my DI last longer. I have started doing 15g water changes twice a week since the algae bloom. I am hoping that once this new DI cartridge gets here Tuesday that the algae will go away as the silicates are removed. I think I am going to do a big 25g water change on Thursday of next week. I will get DI Tues make water Tues and Wed night run my airstones in the 5 jugs and then do water change on Thursday. If that does not help well the Chemi-Clean will.

Back
Top Bottom