High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fellin1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I have to tanks, a 45g and a 10g. I've had them for a year and everything's been going fine until recently on both tanks the nitrates started rising. My ammonia is 0ppm and my nitrates are 0ppm but the nitrates are reading about 20ppm. I use an API freshwater test kit. What could be going on and is it dangerous?

What's your water change schedule? Stocking? Have you added new stock lately? Planted or fake? Have you lost any plants lately? How long does it take to get to 20ppm - when are you noting this is a problem? How long does it take to get to 20ppm after a 50% water change?

I change the water every 2 weeks. Both tanks have fake and real plants. On the 45g I have 4 mollies, 5 platies, 2 dwarf gouramies, 3 goldfish, 2 black skirt tetras and a small pleco. No plants have been lost. On my 10g I have 2 mollies, 4 guppies and a small albino pleco. Also no plants have been lost.

20ppm is just fine for a nitrate level. The albino pleco is definitely going to need a bigger tank and the other pleco might need a larger tank depending on what species it is as well.

Nitrate Level

Hello everyone, I have to tanks, a 45g and a 10g. I've had them for a year and everything's been going fine until recently on both tanks the nitrates started rising. My ammonia is 0ppm and my nitrates are 0ppm but the nitrates are reading about 20ppm. I use an API freshwater test kit. What could be going on and is it dangerous?

Hello Fell...

20 ppm nitrate readings are well within safe limits. This form of nitrogen is at the end of the nitrogen cycle, so even a reading of 40 - 60 ppm isn't going to do your fish any harm. If the nitrates are in your tap water, just follow an aggressive water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank water every week. The small tank should be done 3 times a week. This will maintain stable water conditions. Most fish will adapt to most tap water supplies, so you want to maintain a consistent and stable water chemistry and not try for a particular chemistry.

B

Back
Top Bottom