High Tech Planted Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You won't, think positive.

It has cured for 24 hours, no?

Simple test... Rubber band some plastic wrap around the assembly's barbs, fill with water. Dry off the outside and let it sit on paper towels for a little while.

It cures after like 15-20 mins I think. I think the smell is mostly just residual smell, not uncured primer/cement. Mine was hooked up <2 hours after I made it, but I also flushed it for a good 20-30 mins.

aqua_chem said:
It cures after like 15-20 mins I think. I think the smell is mostly just residual smell, not uncured primer/cement. Mine was hooked up <2 hours after I made it, but I also flushed it for a good 20-30 mins.

Mine has a cure time of 20 min. I did a water test and flush and everything checked out perfect! Reactor plumbed in!

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Mine has a cure time of 20 min. I did a water test and flush and everything checked out perfect! Reactor plumbed in!

Ah, Rain And Shine. Stuff works great and cures fast but is relatively expensive.

What's the trick to tweaking this CO2 system? In the bubble counter I either have lots of bubbles or no bubbles. I'm afraid lots of bubbles will end up hurting the fish but no bubbles isn't really going to help me either.

So the drop checker is a very light shade of green now. How bright should it get before i'm at my desired levels?

It depends on a lot of factors, including circulation, light, etc. What I would recommend it turning it up slowly until you start seeing adverse reactions from your fish, and then turn it down a bit from there and leave it. Your drop counter should act as a guide for that.

aqua_chem said:
It depends on a lot of factors, including circulation, light, etc. What I would recommend it turning it up slowly until you start seeing adverse reactions from your fish, and then turn it down a bit from there and leave it. Your drop counter should act as a guide for that.

Sounds like a plan. So far the fish seem to be doing fine so i'll turn it up tomorrow afternoon after i'm home from work.

Another question, how high should the surface aggitation be for proper oxygen exchange without wasting a lot of the CO2?

Last edited:
Is it just me or has this thread covered the broad spectrum of everything past the original question, with a little collegiate debate of minds thrown in to really confuse the majority of the masses? Glad I went with ichthyology that's all I know:) you guys can keep the physics by all means.

Discusapisto said:
Is it just me or has this thread covered the broad spectrum of everything past the original question, with a little collegiate debate of minds thrown in to really confuse the majority of the masses? Glad I went with ichthyology that's all I know:) you guys can keep the physics by all means.

+100. You noticed huh? ;-)

I really wish i could change the threads name since it doesn't reflect the vast amount of info in here but no such luck. I'm with you on the Ichthyology and leaving the physics to others lol

Yet another question!

How do i avoid the ph swings from overnight. Yesterday the PH was stable at 7.0 but in the morning it was back to 7.6. I just want it to swing drasticly and end up stressing the fish.

Right now the PH is at 6.7 and i'm afraid of a larger swing by morning.

skywhitney said:
+100. You noticed huh? ;-)

I really wish i could change the threads name since it doesn't reflect the vast amount of info in here but no such luck. I'm with you on the Ichthyology and leaving the physics to others lol

Agreed friend, I use liquid and dry ferts and I honestly think it gets over thought sometimes. Every tank is different and so is every aquatic keepers methods and practices. So no one is ever totally wrong or right if it works keep doing it never be swayed or backed off your ideals. I go against the grain quite often and have some beautiful planted tanks to show for it. Well that's my rant for the day lol! Btw keep up the good work sky.

Yet another question!

How do i avoid the ph swings from overnight. Yesterday the PH was stable at 7.0 but in the morning it was back to 7.6. I just want it to swing drasticly and end up stressing the fish.

Right now the PH is at 6.7 and i'm afraid of a larger swing by morning.

The pH swing is normal when you run co2. Co2 injection lowers the pH and then when it's off at night (assuming you have it on a timer) the pH goes back up, it doesn't hurt anything.

Discusapisto said:
Agreed friend, I use liquid and dry ferts and I honestly think it gets over thought sometimes. Every tank is different and so is every aquatic keepers methods and practices. So no one is ever totally wrong or right if it works keep doing it never be swayed or backed off your ideals. I go against the grain quite often and have some beautiful planted tanks to show for it. Well that's my rant for the day lol! Btw keep up the good work sky.

Thanks, i appreciate it. This tank really has come a long way from when i first set it up. I couldn't have done it with everyone here on AA though!

skywhitney said:
I do not.

Some folks run an airstone at night to blow off excess co2 (see Amano's tanks) I for one don't worry about it as much as others. I suppose if you kept delicate species of fish with exacting ph requirements I'd worry a tad but honestly in nature fish experience natural ph swings of slight degrees during the nocturnal hours. So honestly what your experiencing is normal.

skywhitney said:
Thanks, i appreciate it. This tank really has come a long way from when i first set it up. I couldn't have done it with everyone here on AA though!

Your tank has come a long way, and this thread should be read by every new plant enthusiast and seasoned pro alike it's got something for everyone that's for sure lol!

jetajockey said:
The pH swing is normal when you run co2. Co2 injection lowers the pH and then when it's off at night (assuming you have it on a timer) the pH goes back up, it doesn't hurt anything.

Discusapisto said:
Some folks run an airstone at night to blow off excess co2 (see Amano's tanks) I for one don't worry about it as much as others. I suppose if you kept delicate species of fish with exacting ph requirements I'd worry a tad but honestly in nature fish experience natural ph swings of slight degrees during the nocturnal hours. So honestly what your experiencing is normal.

Normal, thats what i was hoping to hear lol. I've made a point to have quite hardy fish since this is really my first tank.

Back
Top Bottom