High Tech Planted Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
Your mileage may vary.

Is it working for you now though?

It should as soon as the PH monior turns the solenoid back on. Its been holding steady at 6.7 all day

It's one of the great debates of our time, planted tank wise anyways. The problem is that no one actually knows anything, but a lot of people strongly think one thing or another. Lots of hypotheses, very little actual data beyond anecdotal accounts.

I checked my CO2 this morning and sure enough i was putting out 4bps and it was holding steady. I also noticed there were almost no micro bubbles coming out the the output so hopefully i can better utilize the CO2 now.

I have noticed that as it grows closer to the top of the tank (and closer to the light) the redder it gets.

Right now i'm only getting about 1.7wpg of light since i took out the 4th bulb. The bulb i took was an actinic so should i get a 6500 bulb to replace it? Or would it be to much?

Well you are the judge of that. There's so much variance between fixtures and setups that what works for you might not for someone else. I'd go ahead and put another plant friendly bulb in there, at the worst you may just not get to run it because it puts you over the top, but then again it may not and could help speed things along. And even if it were too much you could always remove it and use it as a replacement later.

unfortunately the fixture i have doesn't give me the ability to pick and choose (can't use a timer either). It's either all or nothing.

I need some advice on my lighting. I dug a little deeper and it seems that The bulbs I have are:

2X WavePoint Sun Wave 12000k
1X WavePoint Superblue Wave 420 nm actinic
(1X 6700K bulb I am buying after work today)

Should i try to switch out some of or all the WavePoint bulbs for spectrums that are more suited to plants?

So i picked up two 6700k bulbs on the way home. I'm now running:
2X 6700k
1X 120000k
1X 420 nm actinic

for plants it would be best to have as many as you can at 6700

This isn't true. The actual PAR difference between a 10000K bulb, 6700-6500K bulb, and 4000K bulb is almost negligibly different.

I would have recommended Giesemann bulbs, as they are thought by some to make colors come out it plants, and I like the overall color of their 6500K+4500K combination (Midday + Aquaflora). They are what I use and all I will ever use.

skywhitney said:
So i picked up two 6700k bulbs on the way home. I'm now running:
2X 6700k
1X 120000k
1X 420 nm actinic

IMO. you would be better off running your 2 12000k ( listed originally) and the 2 6700k. rather than using the actinic bulb at all

aqua_chem said:
This isn't true. The actual PAR difference between a 10000K bulb, 6700-6500K bulb, and 4000K bulb is almost negligibly different.

I would have recommended Giesemann bulbs, as they are thought by some to make colors come out it plants, and I like the overall color of their 6500K+4500K combination (Midday + Aquaflora). They are what I use and all I will ever use.

The two bulbs i got today are the Giesemann Aquaflora 6700k.

aqua_chem said:
The midday are 6000K. The aquafloras are ~4000K.

Well then i got two 4000k bulbs....crap lol. I removed the actinic and put the other 12000k bulb in its place.

Back
Top Bottom