High Tech Planted Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
Without knowing before hand, you can't know short of chemical techniques. What fertilizer do you not know the chelator of?

I was just asking in general but while looking at what is available on green leaf aquatiums they say what the chelator is. Their chelated iron is DPTA.

It's usually moderately safe to assume EDTA unless otherwise stated.

If you're not sure about getting the DTPA from GLA, I can let you know how it works. I just bought some today.

aqua_chem said:
It's usually moderately safe to assume EDTA unless otherwise stated.

If you're not sure about getting the DTPA from GLA, I can let you know how it works. I just bought some today.

That'd be great! I still have half a bottle of the Flourish Iron so it'll be a little while before i'm looking to order more. :)

Would it be bad to run 3 blue "moonlight" LEDs at night?

My ludwiga is starting to turn a nice deep maroon color again and is dropping roots like crazy. The Rotala Indica is also starting to show a nice pink color to the upper most leaves.

Here is my tank as of a couple hours ago.

image-1488477583.jpg

image-20368793.jpg

image-1080423450.jpg

Edit: i have no idea why the third pic looks so dark...

Last edited:
Jealous of that rotala bush. How did you get it so... bushy?

I've always wanted to get my hands on some L. Grandulosa, but I can never seem to get my hands on any.

aqua_chem said:
Jealous of that rotala bush. How did you get it so... bushy?

I've always wanted to get my hands on some L. Grandulosa, but I can never seem to get my hands on any.

Thats actually my Diandra. The Rotala is to the right of it in the picture. I only have a small amount in there right now.

The L. Grandulosa was actually labeled a L. Perennis. You might want to keep your eyes out for that as well.

Last edited:
Question still stands on how you got it so bushy.

Ludwigia Peruensis was an old name given to the plant by the botonist that discovered it (or something of that sort). Grandulosa is its actual name.

Question still stands on how you got it so bushy.

Ludwigia Peruensis was an old name given to the plant by the botonist that discovered it (or something of that sort). Grandulosa is its actual name.

I'm not sure how i got it so bushy lol. I just took the top trimmings and replanted them then they just grew into what you see. Surprisingly enough i haven't see any melting on the lower leaves. :)

Last edited:
Would dry ferts being dosed today play any part in my water being slightly clowdy? I've never seen it before but i thought it was worth asking.

aqua_chem said:
If you dosed iron and phosphate at the same time, maybe. Otherwise, probably not.

Well thats exactly what i did lol. It isn't to bad, just a mild whitish hazy look. It looks like it's subsiding now as well.

aqua_chem said:
I've dosed it twice now only. I wont be seeing any results for a few weeks.

Ahh, sounds good. I'll ask again in a few weeks then :)

Did some trimming and replanting yesterday. What do you think?

image-3525547245.jpg

image-3490548101.jpg

image-3041015667.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! It looks great!! What do you think about some ambulia on the left side of the tank? In the open space. Anyways, everything looks really healthy and green, nice!!

I've thought about filling that area but i just pulled a bunch of diandra out of there to open it up for the leaves of my sword which were getting shaded.

I'm thinking i might try to work it in somewhere else though :)

I'm seeing quite a bit of GSA and GDA forming on a very regular basis now. I haven't dosed any of the glut in quite some time so could that be an issue? I've tried adjusting the photo period and CO2 but the algea just keeps growing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Would upping the phosphates help battle the GDA and GSA? What other impacts would this have on the tank?

I read a lot today about just leaving the GDA alone and letting it run its full life course. Has anyone had experience doing this and was it successful?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom