HOB, Filter Media, and Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtWeirdo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So being newbie with aquariums and only having a limited knowledge with just a few years experience, I am trying to make sure that I have the correct knowledge base befor I go out and buy everything to set my tank back up. I plan on having a community planted tank and currently have 2 Marineland Hot Magnum Pro HOB filters. This is the model with the bio filter.

I have a 65 gallon aquarium and the 2 hot magnums together will run up to 110 gallons being that they are rated to up to 55 gallons each. I would like to run the micron polisher in one of the filters to keep the water clear and have the other filter for my biological filter medium to work with the bio wheels. First question is do you think this would produce a good outcome for the water quality and clarity? Would you set up the 2 filters in a different way? Also what media do you like best for the biological filter? I know I want to steer away from carbon. I want something that is good but not too pricey. I was thinking about seachem matrix, eheim pro, or some kind of ceramic or plastic media. Keep in mind my media filter container on the magnum aren't really that big so any media needs to be on the smaller side.

Another question I have is since many biological filters are ceramic, could I possibly make some ceramic media if I have access to ceramic clay and a kiln? I wasn't sure if that is the same ceramic or if the pottery ceramics would contain things you wouldn't want in your aquarium. Unglazed pottery ceramics is porous and can be textured easily. Thanks!

I just purchased a Marineland Multi-Stage Canister filter from Drs. Foster & Smith. I have a 47 gallon bowfront community tank. This filter will allow me to use course and fine pads, along with bio-balls and rings. The filter came with carbon, which I put in the canister when I set it up, but I won't use it again since there are so many other better options. I find the hob filters doesn't clean as well as the canister filter. The water in a canister filter goes through 4 cleaning stages before it's returned to the fish tank. I used hob filters for probably 10 years, and am very excited about my new canister filter (can you tell?) I hope this helps, unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question about pottery. Good luck. gail

You are on the right track with the micron polishing pads ..... basically the only way to get beyond crystal ......... and into the area of "polished plus."

Your proposed set up will work fine ..... but for stunning or "cutting edge" clarity, you'll probably need micron pads in both. I use AquaticLife non woven cut to fit pads in both 100 micron and 50 micron sheets in my two fluval C3's and one C4 HOB's.

First few time you use them, they clog fast, ....... but once fine debris is romoved, once a month service seems to do it.

Tightly packed Serawool brand floss works about 75% as well in AquaClears HOB's.

Back
Top Bottom