HOB filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franwjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently was given a whisper 60 HOB filter. Unfortunately there was no filter media included. I know from having other tetra filters that you can easily replace the poly bag that stores the carbon inside along with the frame that holds it in place, but what is the best way to replicate the biological media sponge that would rest along side it. I thought that maybe I could put some bio media in a filter bag and wedge it in the filter, but I was curious of any other suggestions.

100% Poly-fill (arts craft stores, walmart, target etc.)... I stuff it in my HOB's and it does wonder for polishing the water.

What about the need for biological media. Will the bb exist in the substrate in big enough numbers?
If that is the case will a thorough gravel vacuuming take out the bb and cause a mini cycle?

What about the need for biological media. Will the bb exist in the substrate in big enough numbers?
If that is the case will a thorough gravel vacuuming take out the bb and cause a mini cycle?

The BB will establish in the Polybag (why you rinse with tank water instead of throwing out) should you go with a new filter cartridge and BB will also settle in the Poly-fill ... though you'll want to replace that when it gets dirty. You could also get some ceramic media and stuff a couple in there.

Gravel vacs will not ge rid of BB ... supposedly they're amazing at adhering themselves to surfaces. Those are tough little bacteria.

Put the filter bag and frame in the filter as usual (no carbon or other media IN the bag).

Get some ceramic rings and 2 feet of fishing line. Loop the fishing line through a ceramic ring and tie a knot. Thread the fishing line through the rings enough for 1-1.5 feet and tie a knot around the last ring. Rings should be rather loose. Cut the excess line. Now feed the "string of rings" into the gap next to the filter bag near the overflow in a zig zag fashion. Any excess rings can be placed on the other side of the filter bag.

This way the media stays clean and is easily retrievable when rinsing/changing the filter bag.

Back
Top Bottom