HOB to Canister conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellofone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a very, very, cheap HOB filter from Top Fin. It came in a kit and I really got what I paid for. However, after researching these wonderful forums I've found out that I think I would be FAR better off converting to a canister. I've been looking at the Eheim Ecco lines, as they seem to be a middle of the road filter that has a lot of the options that bigger and more expensive models have.

I'm mainly looking for more control over what is in the filter, and I think a canister is the best way to do so. Am I wrong?

How would I go about switching from my current working filter (no biowheel) to the new filter without having to re-cycle?

A 2nd question, does anyone know if there are any generic spraybar attachments? I have been looking at the Eheim Ecco 2234 (up to 60 gallons with 145 gph) and it seems that none of the Ecco series has available spraybars.

Thanks in advance!

You can either run both on the tank for several weeks, then take the Top-Fin out, or you can put the Top-Fin's media into the Eheim. I just replaced the lousy TopFin that came with my 29 with an AquaClear 50. I just took the filter media off of the frame, threw away the charcoal, and put it into the bottom of the AC50, before any of the AC's media. I plan on leaving it in there for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, Ammonia and Nitrite are holding at 0.

Best idea if you get a cannister is to just remove the HOB and place all the media from the HOB in with the new media in the cannister, preferably under the new media so the bacteria will spread to the new media a little faster. As for cycling, you shouldn't see any, as long as all the media is used and hasn't dried out or anything. I would get the cannister running first, then pretend you are doing maintenance (practice run), and place the HOB media in at that time, close it back up, and start it up again. Leave the HOB running up until you do this. That will ensure you have no bacteria loss. Then leave the media in until your first scheduled maintenance, which will probably be about a month.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Rena Filstars. They are the only cannisters I use (XP2 and XP3). So if you are shopping around and looking at other filters as well, check these out too. There are a lot of great canister filters out there.

mellofone said:
I currently have a very, very, cheap HOB filter from Top Fin. It came in a kit and I really got what I paid for.

Been there.

Just curious guys/gals, but do you really think that any real precautions need to be taken? Topfin filters basically suck, they have virtually no media in them at all. The only biological filtration is what is on the filter pad itself, which they recommend replacing regularly. I guess my point is that I doubt there is much bacteria on/in the filter as it is, so what would be the problem with just replacing the whole thing. There should be plenty of bacteria elsewhere in the tank not to see a mini-cycle.

Anyone agree?

I'd still run the top fin when you first add the cannister...just to be sure. There is bacteria in any media you have in the top fin, so you don't want to lose it. Run the top fin for a couple weeks after you install the cannister just to be sure.

I also have a Rena XP3 and it is great. Its easy to clean, has great media choices, and is very quiet. Also, it isn't too expensive.

Why not run both of the filters for the same time for a few weeks? Then you could elimate your TopFin filter all together. When I first started I bought a TopFin 60. I had it for a couple of weeks then took it back and upgraded to a AC 110. I never could understand how the Topfin would hold the bacteria if I replaced the media monthly as it suggested.

I guess my point was that the topfin is holding a minimal amount of bacteria, and changing the media monthly is like replacing the filter altogether. There just isn't much bacteria on the thing. I do agree that running both would be the most conservative, I just question its necessity.

I'll check out the Rena Filstars. Might the XP2 be too much for a 29 gallon tank? The XP2 has 4 filtration compartments over the XP1's 2, correct?

The XP1 has 1 basket with a divider, giving you 2 "sections". The XP2 has 2 baskets, with 2 dividers, for 4 sections. Likewise, the XP3 has 3 baskets, with dividers.

Ah ha, I see. Would the XP2 be too much flow for a 29 gallon? I would hate to turn it into a giant whirlpool :)

I have an XP2 on my 29G and it's perfect. In the bottom basket you'll have 2 coarse and 2 medium sponges, which comes with the filter. Then in the upper basket you have your choice of media you want to use. I use ceramic cylinders, which you buy separately, and filter floss, which is also bought separately. Then on top of the floss I put the fine filter pad which comes with the filter. I don't use the other media that comes with the filter, I believe it's just carbon in the bag. But yes, the XP2 will work great on the 29G.

I also use the spraybar, which helps reduce any whirl-pool effect. But even with the power-jet, I think you'll be fine if that's what you choose to use. The filter comes with everything to set it up either way.

Wonderful advice. I am looking through your 29G thread now to check out the filter.

Thanks a ton!

How about online stores that sell the XP2's? Please post your favorites since my LFS doesn't carry them.

Wonderful! These forums are great!

Now I just have to figure out what media to pack into it. It seems that there is quite a variety. I love choices, especially since I have such terrible tap water.

Lonewolfblue, do you think that the ceramic cylinders work better then the Rena suggested "Bio-Chem Stars?"

Yes.... I prefer the ceramic cylinders over the stars. The stars are just too big and can only fit a few in. Also, lava granules is another great media choice. Just rinse it off well before adding to the filter, as it will have a lot of red dust. I have both in my XP3 and just the cylinders in my XP2.

Back
Top Bottom