Hole in snail shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Just got golden inca snail they are related to mystery/apple family so I just noticed he has a hole in his shell what do I do?

Add calcium to the tank

Cuttlebone and eggshells work well

If you have a breeders trap net him up measure the hole and put a small bit of cuttlebone into it they will eat it and it helps heal thier shell

Bubbles0oO said:
Add calcium to the tank

Cuttlebone and eggshells work well

If you have a breeders trap net him up measure the hole and put a small bit of cuttlebone into it they will eat it and it helps heal thier shell

Great thanks! What's cuttlebone?? Do I just leave egg shell in till dissolves or how long?

Don't poke anything into the hole. The snail will put a calcium layer on the inside of it to seal it off. If you have hard water you don't need I do a thing. If you have soft water some crushed shells or cuttlebone (for birds) in the substrate or filter will increase the calcium content in the water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Don't poke anything into the hole. The snail will put a calcium layer on the inside of it to seal it off. If you have hard water you don't need I do a thing. If you have soft water some crushed shells or cuttlebone (for birds) in the substrate or filter will increase the calcium content in the water.

How do I test hardness? Had that question for awhile! I probably will do egg shell and put it in HOB filter.

Back
Top Bottom