Holy ammonia tap water Batman!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
6 months ago I had never heard of a test kit. Then I thought it was just for "professionals" and today I bought my first API test kit! I had used a different kit from a neighbor a few times but I didn't trust the results...

So I tested my tap water and it looks like it is at .5 ammonia! Is that normal? Or did I do it wrong? If it is accurate (and I will test again tomorrow) does that mean I should add slightly more prime than I have been?

Some of what you see might be chloramines. Prime should take care of them but I'd you want to run some tests that would be good. First test the water from the tap, then treat a sample with the same proportion of prime you would use for that small amount. (some calculations might be in order!). Let is sit a few min and then test that sample an see where you are then.

Also test a sample of distilled water (which contains zero of everything) and compare it to your tap water. This will give you a basis for what a 'zero' reading of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate truly looks like and you will then have a better of idea for comparason. If your tap does read .50 of amm, this is not the end of the world. Your bb will consume it and Prime will convert it to ammonium (until it is consumed) so your fish will not be affected.

6 months ago I had never heard of a test kit. Then I thought it was just for "professionals" and today I bought my first API test kit! I had used a different kit from a neighbor a few times but I didn't trust the results...

So I tested my tap water and it looks like it is at .5 ammonia! Is that normal? Or did I do it wrong? If it is accurate (and I will test again tomorrow) does that mean I should add slightly more prime than I have been?

Hello V...

I wouldn't worry about your tap water. The vast majority of aquatic fish and plants will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. Just treat the tap water for ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Seachem's "Prime" is a very good one, but there are others on the market.

B

That's not a horrific amount of ammonia. If the tank is cycled then the BB will eat up that ammonia rather quickly.

Whew. Thanks everyone! I will do a bunch of tests this afternoon and see what it all looks like. Thanks for the great suggestions!

On the first test kit I used they said to look down through the top of the tube to compare the colors but they don't mention that in the API instructions - can I just hold the tube on it's side or do I need to open it up and look down through it?

I would take the test tube outside where you have the best light and compare the color side by side with the color chart. In house readings produce false results. For example my Nitrate test looks Red in the house, but Orange when taken outside!

Back
Top Bottom