Holy fish fry batman!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. We found our other 3 yesterday at feeding time. We saw a piece of flake moving and saw him picking at it. when we moved the plants around to scoop him up, thats when the other 2 must have darted out .

We just found 2 more fry this morning. We now have 6 in the breeder net. At this rate looks like we need to get the 10 gallon up and cycling once again. We JUST shut it down and cleaned it and put it up.
Whats a good safe way to transfer them to another tank? We've never done it before. And I know they cant live in the breeder net forever lol.

I do believe this little lady may be expecting!

Yup looks like shes gettin there. She looks like one platy we have in our 36. Just ours has a bigger blue area on her sides. Shes the mother of the only baby we have in that tank who is now over 2 months old. Precious little thing.

Last edited:
Copachick said:
We just found 2 more fry this morning. We now have 6 in the breeder net. At this rate looks like we need to get the 10 gallon up and cycling once again. We JUST shut it down and cleaned it and put it up.
Whats a good safe way to transfer them to another tank? We've never done it before. And I know they cant live in the breeder net forever lol.

My "spare" 10g goes up and down constantly.... :)
I just net em and scoop into the other tank.. With only a few exceptions IME my fry have been pretty healthy and I've never seen this harm them.... Talking about live bearer fry only here..

I just got a lid for my 5 gal fluval chi today. It just sits right on top. I had gotten some hornwort from severum mama the other day and I cut a piece off yesterday and put it in the 5 gal. for the fry. They both seem to be doing just fine and they like the hornwort.

How long does it take for them to get color? They are just sort of a medium grey.

I just transferred 5 fry from a net to a 10g. 3 of them were very tiny and 2 were a few weeks old & they all are doing great! They've all grown a ton since being in there and it's a lot more fun to watch them, b/c they get to swim all around! So, i'm assuming all is well b/c they are growing. I have it bare bottomed, but with some rocks, java moss, horn wort & a couple of decorations. They seem to love it. I also am only feeding them crushed up flakes. :D

RaygunK said:
I just transferred 5 fry from a net to a 10g. 3 of them were very tiny and 2 were a few weeks old & they all are doing great! They've all grown a ton since being in there and it's a lot more fun to watch them, b/c they get to swim all around! So, i'm assuming all is well b/c they are growing. I have it bare bottomed, but with some rocks, java moss, horn wort & a couple of decorations. They seem to love it. I also am only feeding them crushed up flakes. :D

Sounds great!

Yeah i think thats what we are about to do. Only thing is that this tank is in the living room. The ten gallon might not have anywhere to go except in the kitchen. I doubt they can be in the net for that long of a travel. eeeek

Copachick said:
Yeah i think thats what we are about to do. Only thing is that this tank is in the living room. The ten gallon might not have anywhere to go except in the kitchen. I doubt they can be in the net for that long of a travel. eeeek

Have a bowl of tank water right by you and lower the net into the bowl for transferring to the tank in the kitchen.

and how come they are fine not floating or getting acclimated to the water, but full grown fish have to be or it shocks them? Just curious

Copachick said:
and how come they are fine not floating or getting acclimated to the water, but full grown fish have to be or it shocks them? Just curious

I don't know. I was wondering the same thing.

When i transferred my fry i put them in a bowl of tank water (that they were in) and then added the new tank water to the same bowl. It was about equal parts. I left them in there about 30 minutes, then dumped them in. They did great!

Bearchumjs said:
Have a bowl of tank water right by you and lower the net into the bowl for transferring to the tank in the kitchen.

Copachick said:

Bearchumjs said:
I don't know. I was wondering the same thing.

I have no idea why... But my fry have been okay with this method.
Could also be all 3 of my tanks are very close in parameters, temp, etc, so netting and moving doesn't have as much of an effect on them... Fry or adults.

Back
Top Bottom