"homemade" drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i wanted to find and cure my own dw for my 15g i have all day tmrw to go out and hunt problem is i live in RI and im not sure wich wood is good and wich bad also not sure on how to identify it either iknow theres alot of pine trees but other than that im not sure what i have for trees any help is appreciated

I always wanted to chop a branch of my back garden tree and tie it on few pieces of brick and drop it in my empty pond for few month and then rinse it properly to put it in my fish tank. But scared if it kills all my fish.

Sorry can't help ya in this matter but will take the advice what others give ya lol..

Pine is very very bad. The tree contains lots of resin which will forever leach into your tank. Also, pine is not a very hard wood, and would not work well being submerged long term. You want very dry, very hard, dense wood that will eventually sink. Actually the best driftwood for most tanks is African Mopani wood. It just sinks like a stone. Unless you need a huge piece, you would probably be better off just buying some at the lfs or on-line.

lol my fw tank is empty only two neon tetra i haven't had cash to bring the school back most money went to my nano reef but its time to let my fw shine and i really want to use local wood i found itl make it more personal

Affordable Aquatic said:
Pine is very very bad. The tree contains lots of resin which will forever leach into your tank. Also, pine is not a very hard wood, and would not work well being submerged long term. You want very dry, very hard, dense wood that will eventually sink. Actually the best driftwood for most tanks is African Mopani wood. It just sinks like a stone. Unless you need a huge piece, you would probably be better off just buying some at the lfs or on-line.

is there anything i can find locally?

Cichlidsheaven said:
Living in Uk means drying woods almost impossible task when it rains 13 month in a year lol..

lol ri isnt to bad plus its june now and hasn't rained hard in a good month or two so most wood would be dry now im just not sure if i can use any local wood i really hope i can

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol ri isnt to bad plus its june now and hasn't rained hard in a good month or two so most wood would be dry now im just not sure if i can use any local wood i really hope i can

It's summer here or is it? Weather forecast says will be raining next few days! I guess you can imagine how's it like.

Cichlidsheaven said:
It's summer here or is it? Weather forecast says will be raining next few days! I guess you can imagine how's it like.

i actually like the rainy cloudy dark weather people joke all the time about UK weather it's not really raining all the time there is it?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i actually like the rainy cloudy dark weather people joke all the time about UK weather it's not really raining all the time there is it?

How about you come for a holiday and find out your self lol..

I heard people in USA can run their tank most of the time through the summer without a heater in it cos room temp is 24c
Now if I keep my heater off at mid summer for few hours my fish will die for sure. Forget about through out the summer!

lol i live in new England so up north now it gets 90-100 on a really hot day but because the central air is on I'd rather not risk it with fluctuations plus this is my first summer with a tank as well. but people down south like mfdrookie could run tanks now without a heater probably as you've heard

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol i live in new England so up north now it gets 90-100 on a really hot day but because the central air is on I'd rather not risk it with fluctuations plus this is my first summer with a tank as well. but people down south like mfdrookie could run tanks now without a heater probably as you've heard

That could of saved me some money cos I've for about 10 tanks running and my weekly bills like £35 that's around 50 dollars!

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
wow i only have two tanks and they barely make a dent in moms bill then agian they are smaller tanks

My tanks are
1x 6foot 100 gallon
1x4foot 55gallon
3x3foot 42gallon
1x3.5foot 55 gallon
1x26inch 40gallon
2x2foot cube 60 gallon
1x2foot 20gallon

Most of my tanks equipment totalling around 450watt so you can calculate the rest.

I live in the southern US.. and while you could run the tanks without heater MAYBE.. most people have air conditioners and my house is pretty chill this time of year. I grew up without a/c down here and it's not something I'd like to do again! Might save on power a bit, but goodness it would be uncomfortable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom