horrible smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefish51

Aquarium Advice Activist
earlier today I bought java fern and a black mystery snail from petsmart. Now about 12 hours since I put these 2 in the tank, the water stinks!!!! why???? :(

TheCrazyFishLady said:
It might be coincidental. When is the last time you cleaned your filter?

what do you mean by clean? changing the filter cartridge?

Well, you need to clean your filter out every so often. Like, in the impeller and intake tube and the actual body. You can't just leave it up forever just changing cartridges. It takes awhile for enough junk to build up inside of there to cause a smell though. You want to clean the filter on a week that you aren't changing out the cartridges to cause the smallest amount of a cycle possible.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, you need to clean your filter out every so often. Like, in the impeller and intake tube and the actual body. You can't just leave it up forever just changing cartridges. It takes awhile for enough junk to build up inside of there to cause a smell though. You want to clean the filter on a week that you aren't changing out the cartridges to cause the smallest amount of a cycle possible.

ok I havent cleaned it out for about 7 weeks now. I smelled inside the filter box and it is the worst there!!

Right right...well what else would cause this? I dont want it to stink up my room.

Well, you could have algae causing the stink. Do you have a bloom? If not, I'm not sure, personally what else it could be. I'm sure someone else will chime in with their two cents. For now, clean the filter. It should help.

Oh, and what are your parameters? I did a quick google search and an abundance of ammonia can cause a smell, apparently. Not sure how accurate that is.

I dont think its an algea problem. Although it could be but for now like you said I will just clean the filter.

nitrate: 20ppm
nitrite: .5ppm :(
ph: 7.8
ammonia: 0

Yes I agree. I think it might be cause of over feeding. Im going to switch to every other day again.

It smells like somethings rotten. thats what the water smells like

Have you checked the snail lately that you just bought? Just wondering because I had one die and didn't know it until I smelled a terrible smell in my tank and the poor little guy had died! :(

clean the filter housing its self in some tank water it wont harm anything but it's worth a shot may wana pwc anyways just to nock that trite reading down

Back
Top Bottom