Hos to get rid of chloramines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on getting a BRS 4 stage RODI system soon and the people at the lfs say it does not have a chloramine filter in it. Isnt that what the pre filter does though? Cant i just use a water conditioner to eliminate them?
Thanks

Not entirely true. BRS has their "standard" units, then they have their chloramines units. They also have chloramines filter upgrade kits. So just keep an eye on what youre purchasing.
BRS 5 Stage Chloramines PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

Before dropping the extra money on the kit, ask your local water department if they use chloramines to treat your water. If your water department phone monkeys are the same as mine, you'll be answered with "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh...lemme call you back", and they never will.

Check the water quality report if you want a definitive answer, as they are usually required to specify what they treat your water with.

The LFS was probably just trying to upsell you one of their more costly units.

Assuming your water contains Chloramines then yes you can use a water conditioner to take care of them.

Yeah my water does, thanks. Is any conditioner good? Stress coat?

Stress coat is acceptable for FW but when we are trying for 0 TDS stress coat and many other conditioners actually makes municipal water worse .

Stress coat is acceptable for FW but when we are trying for 0 TDS stress coat and many other conditioners actually makes municipal water worse .

I knew someone would mention wanting 0 tds... The reason you're looking for 0tds is to remove anything harmful from water such as heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, or any other unhappy substances. Prime contains nothing harmful so theres absolutely no need to worry about it causing any imbalances in your system or promoting algae growth.

I knew someone would mention wanting 0 tds... The reason you're looking for 0tds is to remove anything harmful from water such as heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, or any other unhappy substances. Prime contains nothing harmful so theres absolutely no need to worry about it causing any imbalances in your system or promoting algae growth.

Ok i will get some later thanks!

[
Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.
/QUOTE]
Any good quality RO/DI filter will contain a carbon filter that will remove chloramines.

Again. Just because it has a carbon membrane doesnt mean itll pull chloramines out. If that was the case, BRS wouldnt offer dedicated units for chloramine removal

Again. Just because it has a carbon membrane doesnt mean itll pull chloramines out. If that was the case, BRS wouldnt offer dedicated units for chloramine removal

Chloramines are harder to get rid of then chlorine .
It doesn't dissipate , evaporate ,
Takes longer to dissolve ,
Causes health issues ,
This is why a lot of places don't use it

ezy33 said:
If it's not removing the chloramines wouldn't my fish and corals die?

No. They say that it can affect livestock over time but its not something that is lethal to the point it kills things off in days or even weeks

On the subject of chlorimines. I am a pool and spa guy and deal with chlorimines quite often. Chlorimines also known as combined chlorine is the result of free chlorine mixing with ammonia or nitrates and creating a chlorimine gas which is not a big deal in an open air environment where the gas can be gassed off however if the gas is trapped in the water source then chlorimines or combined chlorine is created. Chlorimines are not active sanitizers so water treatment plants do not or rather can not treat drinking water with it. It is simply the result of chlorimine gas being trapped in the water being treated. The best example I can give of this would be an indoor pool. Even if a pool had a ridiculous amount of free chlorine but no combined chlorine you wouldn't smell it but with indoor pools chlorine is often smelled because ventilation for the structure is less than adequate and the chlorimine gas never fully removed from the building

On the subject of chlorimines. I am a pool and spa guy and deal with chlorimines quite often. Chlorimines also known as combined chlorine is the result of free chlorine mixing with ammonia or nitrates and creating a chlorimine gas which is not a big deal in an open air environment where the gas can be gassed off however if the gas is trapped in the water source then chlorimines or combined chlorine is created. Chlorimines are not active sanitizers so water treatment plants do not or rather can not treat drinking water with it. It is simply the result of chlorimine gas being trapped in the water being treated. The best example I can give of this would be an indoor pool. Even if a pool had a ridiculous amount of free chlorine but no combined chlorine you wouldn't smell it but with indoor pools chlorine is often smelled because ventilation for the structure is less than adequate and the chlorimine gas never fully removed from the building

Pool and spa guy ?
I manufacture pools .

Back
Top Bottom