house hold plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Philodendron - almost everyone has that who keeps houseplants.

I have heard people rooting them in their HOB.

I almost always have some sort of houseplant "rooting" in a jar or vase of water so that it will grow some roots before I plant it, so any plant that will root in water will work, as long as most of the stem and leaves are out of the water. Bamboo can be grown this way. Mangroves can grow like this too, in a brackish tank.

You will have to rig something up. Depending on how your hood is configured, you likely have an open space across the back or something, and you could use some kind of plastic clip to the side of the tank, and twist-tie the stems to it. You could also use suction-cup heater or airline tubing holders and put the stem in there where the heater or tubing would go.

is it bad to have it completely in the gravel if its leaves are tall enough to stay on/above the surface of the water?

sorry for so many questions, plants just seem cool

I think of this practice as "rooting" the plants in water, rather than planting the plants and growing them emersed, but if your plants are long enough that the roots can get into the substrate and the leaves remain above water, then go for it. I don't know if the leaves being "on" the surface is long enough. You really are going to run the risk of the plant rotting unless a good 1/4 to 1/2 of the total plant is above the water surface.

If your lily is a calla lily, then you can plant the roots in the gravel. Calla lily have long stems. If it's a peace lily, the stem is too short to be planted, even in a 10gal tank. You can plant it and hope that the stem will extend, they often do, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You might be able to find some tall bamboo sold as a "lucky" bamboo decorative plant, they are usually grown in water and should work.

Why don't you get a water lettuce or water hyacinth? They're no fuss plants and offer a good hiding place for shy fish. They also have nice roots and filter the water and you don't have to worry about them rotting.

Whats the dilly y0!!! EVER SEEN someone try this PLS Help!!!

ok well heres a wierd one i realllllllllllllllly need help with I LOVEEEEEEE bamboo, very simple elegant and bountiful, well regardless i decided to somehow incorporate it in my tank so I used it to hide the front face of the heater ( there is still adequate water flow behind it & havent had problem with the water temp for 2 weeks strait) heres a few pics.....HERE is my dilemma can I use dried out bamboo or do i have to treat it and even if i do just leave it in the tank is it going to produce an excess amount of ammonia or only decay of live plants produce ammonia BASICALy IS IT SAFEEEEEEEEEEE??? or stick to something else..?

Attachments

• f57b42da.jpg
    f57b42da.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 323
  • f57b45ff.jpg
    f57b45ff.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 224
  • f57b48c0.jpg
    f57b48c0.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 280
more

more

Attachments

• f57b480e.jpg
    f57b480e.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 224
  • f57b479a.jpg
    f57b479a.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 278
  • f57b4272.jpg
    f57b4272.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 215
The dry bamboo will degrade over time, but quite slowly....with regular water changes, not likely enough to affect water chemistry until it is really falling apart (which will take years)....just make sure that it has not already been treated with anything.

omg YES thanks so much for your help I really appreciate now all i gotta find is a way to make it sinks because it floats like a raft..

spider plants last quite awhile underwater, and my fish trim all the decaying leaves, roots grow in the spidery part of the plant that i rip off. looks okay too

Back
Top Bottom