How can I save money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everytime I look at this form it makes me realizes how much I'd love a planted tank (my 55 is planted, but I mean highlights, CO2 the whole deal). I get all these ideas for my new 50gal, but then the sudden reality of it all hits me $$$. Exactly what i don't have a lot of, I had to quit my job to start conditioning my horse for the eventing season. I spend 6 days a week at the barn now.
Does anyone know of a way I could get my hands on things like a used regulator for a CO2 tank, or used CF light strips. Those would be my 2 biggest problems as far as expensses.
Do any of have suggestions for a good place to buy this stuff online, or from someone on aquabid. I'm pretty handy when it comes to putting stuff together so even something like a retro fit kit you could suggest.
Also, I was googling CO2 tanks, and I found this site beveragefactory.com they sell a 5lb tank for $50 new. Is that a good price or a good size for a 50gal? A teacher at my school teaches a welding class. So, I'm sure if i talked to her she could help me out with a lot of the CO2 tank stuff.
Well any suggestion you could give me would be loved.

i got my 55gal tank's light strip from lowes for like 12 bucks, and the bulbs for 6, but I don't think they sell CF light strips at hardware stores

ya that was my problem, they didnt even have sockets for the cf and their light strips you have to wire yourself so that made me back off but i think ima do it

Well i looked online at grow lights, and i might just go with a metal haliade light. Unlike the MH light setups they sell for aquariums its about $100 dollars inseted of $300...still kinda steep, but better than spending up to $200 on a CF light strip. I can hang it from the ceiling because its going to be setup in our unfinished basement, so i have the rafters to hang it from. I think it will be worh the money. I just need to start earning money from my parents here and there, and maybe give some riding leasons to younger kids at my barn.
I hope the teacher at my school will help me with the CO2 stuff.

if you guys have anymore suggestions please let me know!

T8's are better for output then CF You can look into ODNO. an ODNO4x dual T8 fixture (3.5" wide) can output 128W of brighter light. for about 65-70$ and the bulbs are only 6$ :) definately worth googling (try "ODNO fluorescent")

I got my 47gal acrylic corner tank with stand, CF, and hood for $75 of craigslist. Its like an ebay but just for you general location

i have looked on craigs list, but most the aquarium stuff is the tank and everything i really just need the lights and CO2 regulator.

I found this site when i googled ODNO Fluorescent
http://www.gwapa.org/articles/ODNO/
Has anyone here done this before? Shope lights are pretty cheap, i got my 55gal's for i think $12.

ok so looking around some more...
If my math is correct here are the specs on MH and T5
T5 H.O. 6500K Fluorescent Tube 5000 lumens, 54 watts
5000/54=92.59
92.59/57(NO LPW*)= 1.62
T5(54watt) is 62% Brighter than a NO
LPW (lumens per watt)
MH 6500K 22,000 lumens, 250 watts
22000/250=88
88/57=1.54
MH(250watt) is 54% brighter than NO
So, obviously the better lighting would be the T5
a 2 light T5 would be 3.24 wpg.
I found a 4' light strip that holds 2 bulbs for $170, good deal? Any one know of a cheap retro fit kit for T5's?
Sorry this reply is a little jumpy, but i have been doing a lot of searches while writing it.

*edit* fixed %

Metal Halide is a different class then fluorescent. Like looking for the biggest apple on the orange shelf.. They use an ARC to create light, they do NOT use phosphors.. They are a smooth spectrum (no spikes)..

I have a 2xODNO fixture (2 x T8).. Bulbs get a bit warm, but nothing that is that concerning. http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html was what I looked at.

ok now for regulators...
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/co2-premium.shtml
do you think any of these would work? They are pretty cheap.
What requirements do i need for a CO2 regulator, and what other equipment should i get.
What kind of diffuser do i need? Do i need a bubble counter? etc.. I have looked for some articles on this but most didn't really answer these questions understandably lol.

I recommend powered reactors. they work best if you have a cannister filter. I use a phosban reactor, but it needs certain plumbing to work.

a regulator must be around 15-20PSI output, even the cheapest one there looks good, but you'll need to replace the 3/8" barb for one that is 1/8"ID.

Bubble counters are not necessary, but they really help with figuring out how fast your outputting. also a needle valve is good for fine tuning making the milwaukee kit a bit cheaper..

ok thanks! i was really worried about having to spend 80 dollars on a regulator. After searching some more i found some good sites that have links to places that sell needle valves at pretty good prices. I think i might just make a DIY bubble counter out of a spice jar like one site suggests.
What size CO2 tank would be good for a 50gal tank, with about 3.5wpg? On monday I am going to go into school early to talk to the teacher that theaches welding about getting a CO2 tank. I guess the shop they do the welding at is really close to my school so thats good.

Back
Top Bottom