How can I save this betta? Please, help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hail_madde

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this betta from a local petshop today.
I noticed she has a bent back.. Dont know if she was born like that or if the pet store messed her up...
She also doesnt care to swim or move around at all.
She barely uses her gils, as well..
Doesnt have any interest in food, and stays at the top of the container I have her in..
Im sure she's close to death. Dont know whether it is because of her back or possibly something else that could be wrong with her. I want to try and do everything i can to help her, before I decide to put her to sleep. :/
Please please help me out here.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_220734_590.jpg
    IMG_20190513_220734_590.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20190513_220612_217.jpg
    IMG_20190513_220612_217.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190513_215830.jpg
    20190513_215830.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 99
I read somewhere it could be tuberculosis. Not sure, but It could be a possibility. Apparently it’s best to put them down [emoji853]

I read somewhere it could be tuberculosis. Not sure, but It could be a possibility. Apparently it’s best to put them down [emoji853]

UPDATE: I put her in a small fish bowl with shallow water, for now, considering she can't really swim well.
She is responsive, but still very lifeless. Still hasnt tried to eat either..
I changed some of her water and Im keeping an eye on her.
If she doesn't seem to get any better, I will be putting her to sleep. :/
Im hoping the pics give you more of an idea of what she might have. (Im assuming tuberculosis as well).

Attachments

• CYMERA_20190514_095909.jpg
    CYMERA_20190514_095909.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 128
  • CYMERA_20190514_100245.jpg
    CYMERA_20190514_100245.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 167
  • CYMERA_20190514_100104.jpg
    CYMERA_20190514_100104.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 89
  • CYMERA_20190514_100205.jpg
    CYMERA_20190514_100205.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 88
Hi.
So there are a couple possible issues which you might be interested in.

Parasites can cause bent spine / hollowed tummy area, bad breeding (or fish which should have been culled and not sold by the breeder.) vitamin deficiency also can cause the spine issue.

To treat parasites, I personally prefer the flake food option and liquid in the tank as medication. Soaking the medicine with the fishes food seems to be rejected by a fish which usually really isn't that interested in eating anyway.

Aquarium Solutions PraziPro has high reviews. Have not needed to use this and I usually use the flakes on new arrivals. active ingredient praziquantel

Usually I give my fish this medicated flake if needed. Fenbendozole. Dewormer I
https://angelsplus.com/collections/fish-medications/products/medicated-deworming-flakes

You can try to get this food from a lfs, immediately. If they do not stock it for sale, they may have their personal medicated food stock and you can ask if they would sell some of it to you. Otherwise online will get there in 2-3 days usually.

Try adding a drip of garlic juice to the food in the mean time for the fish, just squeeze a garlic clove onto the food before feeding.

I would add Epsom salt to the fishes water. Plain Epsom salt (ES), no oils or additives, can get at grocery store usually or pharmacy.

The way I treat with it is take a couple cups of hot water to dissolve the ES, when nearly all combined, then add a cup or 2 of cold water whatever is needed to be the temp for the fish's water....then add correct amount of dechlorinator /always use it with tap water (even if I forget to mention it).

Adjust the quantity of water to mix it for your tank size.

The amount of ES I would recommend is a slightly rounded tablespoon per gallon of water.

Since you feel the fish is really not doing well, adding the ES mixture a bit more quickly than usual, would be my recommendation.

You can add the ES mixture to the tank / container, remove the equal amount of water you will need to add.

Normally I would add it over 24 hour period.

But in this case, I would say every hour, add a little of the mixture, maybe about 6 portions. Then you can make up this mixture ahead of time for the complete water change, 100% every day.

Giving him the best possible water will help him to heal.

When the Bettas (or any fish) are shipped, and also held in the little containers the water gets toxic pretty fast and can harm the fish of course and cause them to become compromised - any possible issue would be magnified.

***Are there any other problems other than not eating and curved spine and hollowed stomach?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom