How do I Change the Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 10 gallon "kit" from PetSmart - the lighting is 2 incandescent bulbs. I never noticed a problem when I was using the tank as a QT tank cuz I didn't use the lights much when I had sick fish in there - but now keeping the lights on all day (because its now a second tank - hooray for MTS) - the water heats up quite a bit. My heater is only set on 80 but the water hovers around 87!!!! Then overnight, when the light is off, the water cools back down to about 83. Poor fishes - I know thats not good for them!

Is there a way to "convert" the lighting unit into flourescents? Is that what these "retrofit" kits are for I've seen? Or should I just buy a whole new light? Do you think it will be hard to find one that will fit just right on the top of a tank (i.e. perhaps the light thats on there is "custom made" for this tank kit) - or are lighting units pretty standard mesurements?

Thanks!

You can buy screw in CF bulbs. They sell that at Home Depot. There is a natural daylight bulb. It will work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom