How do you get rid of an Isopod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vietcu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got one in my tank, he swims around mostly at night. I thought it was something good to keep in my tank, but now checking xtalreef. He has a "bad" icon next to him. So my question is how do I catch him?

If you can see him swimming around, you could just net him with a fine net. When I had my "plague of isopods" I just sucked them out at every water change.

Just to make you feel better though, not all isopods are the bad ones. Don't think mine were, but I wasn't about to take any chances.

If you have room, you can consider adding a sixline wrasse. They are know to do a pretty good job of removing isopods

I only have one in there and my tank is a 40g, so I will try to catch it first. If that don't work I might get that wrasse. So far it hasn't touch my two fish that I have in there so it might not be so bad. I'm going to keep an eye on it thought, hopefully I can catch it.

I have to say...my sixline is one of my favorite fish. Very active and colorful.

isopods are not flatworms, I would be very skeptical adding more food for an isopod. Research them, and for the love of fish, don't add a sixline, it will not eat an isopod. Isopods are active at night, sixlines sleep at night. People giving advice, do not mistaken Isopods for amphipods.

Hmmm...my sixline seemed to have taken care of all of the isopods in my tank. It seems to be recommended beyound this site. Don't worry...I understand the difference between an isopod and amphidpods, or copepods for that matter. One of my tanks had an isopod issue due to some Carribean LR I added. They were actually attached to some of my fish. I added a sixline (at the advice of my LFS) and had no more issues.

And you would recommend adding a fish to "possibly" remove a (singular) isopod that has already attached itself to a fish, something that would could do yourself by catching the fish.

The recommendation of 6lines is getting a bit out of control, I didn't see you mention that they can become highly aggressive and territorial.

Who can be certain there is only one? I was merely offering an option. Mine happens to come from personal experience. I fail to see how it is getting a "bit out of control". Additionally, I have not had any issues with aggresive behavior from mine...but every fish is different.

Where there is one there are probably more; however, I might try baiting the isopod before adding another fish just to possibly remedy. I'm not sure I want to get into a 6line debate so I will not comment other than their recommendation is a bit overused, which I'm sure is where the original comment stemmed from.

I caught the isopod tonight with a net so everything is good. But my question now is how fast does those things kill fishes. Because I am missing a clown again, will see my story in another post.

I did express my opinion, I did not discount others, nor their experiences. I did clarify that a sixline does NOT consider isopods a food source, like copepods/amphipods (unless you starve them). I merely finished the bio on the "features" of the sixline wrasse. (And I have more sources then you would want to read, both professional and personal)

I thought our job here was to keep fish safe and healthy. Not make recommendations on our opinions over that job, nor is it proper for us to recommend something without warning of known, documented consequences.

Melosu, you have a PM.

vietcu, congratulations on catching it. They are a parasite (a tick) and likely won't kill a clown fish that quickly . You would have had quite a bit of time to see it.

Last edited:
Depending on which phase of molting the isopod was in, the damage could be very minimal or quite the opposite depending on size comparison of the fish. Most lethal status' come from multiple isopod infestations (juvenile stages). If you by chance do have just a single isopod and your fish was of reasonable size with a healthy status, then more likely it would have died from a secondary bacterial infection from the actual wound. All inconclusive at this point in time.

**Was just made aware that the fish was a very recent addition? If so, probably hiding or carpet surfing. Do give a thorough look around the outside of your tank and nooks/crannies within the liverock ;)

Again... not all are evil blood suckers. Quoting wetwebmedia:

"Not all are parasitic... most are scavengers of sorts, a few eat algae, others carrion."

And even if it is a bad one, they're not like mantis shrimp that can kill a fish in a bat of an eye. It would take a while. Glad to hear you got it - they're pretty easy to manually remove. Keep an eye on your tank though because there is rarely "just one" of anything in our tanks... especially if you didn't buy it!

State your opinion and move on Wiz.

:confused: Seems kinda harsh... I didn't read anything that even comes close to being thrown out of a thread. Seemed like just a heartfelt expression of opinion. Made me think twice about expressing an opinion about something when I have a "strong" opinion about something.

Hey Kurt, glad I'm not the only one that felt that way:-?. Also, very good points about them not all being bad. Potato bugs aren't bad (rollie pollies), and they are isopods. Some things are better safe then sorry.

The point of a message board is to converse, debate and increase understanding, the point of an article is to state your opinion/view (as factual) and move on. Please consider which one you are participating in.

Darn it, I spoke too soon. Last night I turned the lights on in my tank to have a little look at it, and to my surprise. I got 3 more of them suckers, small babies though. They quickly hid under the sand or inside the rocks as soon as I turned the lights on. Looks like I am going to have to get a 6line now. Either that or wait till they get big and try to catch them :). I don't think they are the blood sucking kind though, looks pretty harmless.

Back
Top Bottom